Annoying adverts.

• 8 Replies

Goosegirl

Annoying adverts.
« on: May 18, 2018, 12:56 »
If I never see adverts for funeral plans again it will be too soon! It seems that every commercial break has at least one,especially Jane next door having a nosy at her neighbour's mail. Is it a subtle government plan to get us to eat more healthy food and exercise more often?
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
Re: Annoying adverts.
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2018, 13:59 »
I'm one of those people that's switched to streamed TV rather than the traditional setup. Adverts are mercifully a thing of the past  :D

jaydig

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2018, 16:27 »
A couple of years ago I was shopping at a local shopping centre when, having just got off the escalator, I was approached by a young man who asked "Excuse me, madam, can I ask if you've planned your funeral yet?".  I almost told him he was close to having to plan his own if he continued to approach ladies of a certain age with a question like that, but instead I said "If I'm looking that old I must be having a bad day, and no, I haven't planned my funeral because I'm not going to have one", and walked away leaving him looking rather puzzled. Perhaps he thought my husband was planning to have me stuffed and sitting in an armchair a la Psycho!   Imagine if he had asked the same question of someone who was, perhaps, seriously ill, it would have been extremely upsetting for them.

Goosegirl

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2018, 14:47 »
Boy, I wish I'd been there! Should I ever inadvertently bump into someone like that late at night, I'd tell them that my father got a good deal from our private undertaker firm (Draculas 'R' Us) and, if he perchance wished to approach anyone else with the same question, I'd give him a personal insight into how he managed to be such an insensitive person!
« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 15:06 by Goosegirl »

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2018, 15:12 »
I was very annoyingly wrong-footed whilst shopping in Tossco by two Talk Talk reps - they rather cheekily asked me how much I was paying for my current phone and broadband package, to which I replied that having been with TT in the past, they would have to offer to pay me for the privilege of rejoining them, and even then I'd say no!

As for TV adverts, they're mostly so mind-blowingly crass I rarely watch any live commercial TV (good old Youview box!) The ads for beauty products are usually the worst - how their largely imagined and unproven claims get past the ASA is one of modern life's great mysteries as far as I'm concerned!  :wacko:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

mrs bouquet

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2018, 18:32 »
Having recently organised two funerals to people very dear to me, anybody approaching me just now, would seriously get the rough edge of my tongue.

But annoying adverts - all of them !  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Christine

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2018, 09:43 »
Such a joy not having a telly.

Wonder how banning all adverts on telly would affect what we get to watch.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2018, 10:23 »
Well we have a choice - either allow adverts (you don't have to actually watch them - I record progs and whizz past the ads  ;) - or pay a fixed fee like we do for the BBC.

Simply put If TV wasn't paid for in some way - there'd be nothing to watch.

It is the BBC payment that annoys me most, you have to pay their fee whether you watch their channels or not  :(

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2018, 11:44 »
When you look at how much you get for your money on Netflix without adverts for a very reasonable fee, well I have to wonder about the BBC. Then again, I listen to the radio a lot (R4, R4Extra mainly) so I suppose I get my money's worth. And I do feel the BBC news is basically unbiased, and news ain't cheap.

On a personal level, the adverts on this site which are served by Google, originally they were related to the site and page content. Many visitors found them to be a benefit rather than an annoyance. Then Google got clever and started relating adverts to the individual viewing the page. So if you buy a fridge online you're pursued by adverts for fridges for a month... really annoying. It must have worked generally because Google stuck with it but I'm sure it has had a negative effect for me.

Most annoying adverts prize has to go the grammerly and wix adverts on Youtube - Arghhhh.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

xx
Very annoying insurance company service.

Started by Goosegirl on Chatting on the Plot

6 Replies
Last post July 10, 2018, 15:57
by mrs bouquet
xx
seen any adverts on the TV lately

Started by rowlandwells on Chatting on the Plot

4 Replies
Last post March 09, 2021, 11:56
by Goosegirl
xx
Adverts

Started by mdjlucan on Chatting on the Plot

3 Replies
Last post February 19, 2023, 14:25
by mumofstig
xx
Here come the adverts...

Started by Growster... on Chatting on the Plot

6 Replies
Last post November 02, 2023, 17:01
by Growster...

Page created in 0.159 seconds with 50 queries.