Ketoconazole and egg withdrawal

• 12 Replies

JackieBu

Ketoconazole and egg withdrawal
« on: October 13, 2013, 09:56 »
Does anyone know if you have to withdraw the eggs when a chicken is on a course of ketaconazole? The vet didn't say anything and I forgot to ask. It's a 21day course so I presume not. Also I would like to worm the girls and am waiting for my order of flubenivet 1%, should I let her finish the course before giving the treatment (I would guess it would be best to)?

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: Ketoconazole and egg withdrawal
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2013, 10:37 »
If it is not licenced for use on poultry you will have to take the advice of the vet who prescribed it.  You should be fine to use the flubenvet at the same time, if they have worms they are better treated sooner rather than later.   ;)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

JackieBu

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2013, 21:20 »
I'll get in contact with them tomorrow. Thanks. And thanks for worming advice.

ANHBUC

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2013, 22:22 »
Was it your hen you were worried about before JackieBu that is on the medication?  What did the vet diagnose?

JackieBu

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 07:47 »
Yes. We took it to the vet. I know many people wouldn't bother but I take the attitude that I have taken them into my care, and that I'll do. Vet bills or not. Also peace of mind and hopefully I'll be able to look out for the symptoms much sooner. She's perked up a lot as been on meds since. 9 days left of Tx out of 21. Is more active but still a loner. Her comb was purple in colour but much brighter red except for white patch where there's a slight graze. I have read sour crop can be a recurring thing in some chickens. Also seems quite a few ex batts get it. Suppose it's the change of diet, now free ranging.

JackieBu

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2013, 07:54 »
Also ANHBUC, reading about sour/impacted crop the other day, it said to give veg oil and massage around crop but not petroleum based oils. I thought I'd read previously that veg oil can be given as temp/emergency but to use liquid paraffin. What is correct?

ANHBUC

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2013, 13:07 »
The use of oil for a couple of days is for blocked or impacked crop and not for sour crop.  Live yogurt is recommended for sour crop or anti-fungal drugs from the vet.  I have not read that petroleum based oils should not be used, only that vegetable oils should only be used short term (2 days) as they can overload a chickens liver.  There is more information about both conditions HERE 

I hope she makes a full recovery.   :)

JackieBu

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2013, 15:12 »
Yes. I realise oil for impacted crop but am contemplating, well feel pretty sure now that the excess fluid/inflammation has gone down, that she has infact an impaction there. This morning her crop had something there and they don't have access to food/fluid in the coop and would have expected it to have been empty. Her poo is liquidy and she has a messy bottom. I read that veg oil be given (how much in a dose?) and massage around her crop to try and lubricate the food through. It was advised to keep separate to assess her faeces to check food passing through her digestive tract.

JackieBu

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2013, 15:21 »

ANHBUC

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2013, 18:40 »
That is a Canadian website and also talks about meat bones getting stuck in the crop.   :ohmy:  As the article does not give a reason for not using a petroleum based oils I can not comment on it.  It is not something I have heard of before.

The amounts of oil to use are on the link I posted earlier.  It could be that your hen still has some food left in the crop on a morning, there is only a problem if it is still full.  The runny poo could be a side effect from the medication so it is best if you talk to your vet before doing any home remedies.   :)

JackieBu

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2013, 18:52 »
Thanks ANHBUC (what does that stand for btw? :-)) we will keep an eye on her. Vet said it should be ok to eat eggs. Hope so as probably consumed some already.  :unsure: I get the impression she may be our best layer but I suspect one of the 4 not very good, but they have found a fairly cosy home with us, what with the free ranging and virtually first class medical treatment      :ohmy:  :lol:

Thanks again  :)

JackieBu

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2013, 19:13 »
Found your name!   :doh   ::)

ANHBUC

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2013, 19:58 »
 :lol:  I couldn't think of anything else when I joined the forum, all the other names I tried were already being used. 

xx
flubenvet egg withdrawal?

Started by lucylou on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 10, 2010, 23:45
by lucylou
xx
Egg withdrawal.....how long?

Started by cathangirl on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 06, 2009, 15:14
by Aunt Sally
xx
Tylan & egg withdrawal

Started by trinacooke on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 30, 2009, 09:25
by poultrygeist
xx
Baytrill - Egg Withdrawal?

Started by Foghorn-Leghorn on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post September 28, 2010, 19:36
by Foghorn-Leghorn

Page created in 0.222 seconds with 39 queries.