Red Mite prevention advice wanted.

• 3 Replies

viks chicks

« on: May 30, 2008, 13:16 »
I haven't had an outbreak yet...but I know I don't want the critters.  :twisted:
 I have bought some organic red mite powder which I have dusted in my chicken ark-do I use the same stuff to put on the chickens and do you sprinkle it all over them-do you have to get under their wings etc-or just a quick sprinkling. Does red-mite spray exist?

Porffor

« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2008, 13:55 »
I have also just bought some Redmite powder (all they had in my feed store) am planning to do the house soon. I treated the chooks with frontline which i understand kills mites too. :)

The instructions on my redmite says to sprinkle it over the birds and has a measurement in weight of the powder.

I know someone that chose to put the bird in a bag (not it's head) and sprinkle that way to get a fuller covering but not sure if this is advisable, i should imagine it would lead to stress.  :?

kattcottrell

• Experienced Member
    • www.funkychickengifts.com
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2008, 16:13 »
Quote from: "Porffor"
I have also just bought some Redmite powder (all they had in my feed store) am planning to do the house soon. I treated the chooks with frontline which i understand kills mites too. :)

The instructions on my redmite says to sprinkle it over the birds and has a measurement in weight of the powder.

I know someone that chose to put the bird in a bag (not it's head) and sprinkle that way to get a fuller covering but not sure if this is advisable, i should imagine it would lead to stress.  :?

I've heard of coating your stewing steak with seasoned flour by putting in a bag but never heard it used on a chicken before, well not a live one with feathers anyway :lol:
Katt

Porffor

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2008, 18:49 »
I know.. sad fact is it's a friend of mine.. but shall we say they are nice, but a bit dippy!? :lol:

I personally.. would never put anything through that trauma but hey-ho! Their chickens survived :)

xx
Red mite prevention?

Started by AmandaH on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post August 10, 2009, 21:58
by cochin
xx
Red Mite Prevention

Started by Blobbs on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 16, 2012, 11:20
by Blobbs
xx
Mite prevention

Started by Trisha on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 13, 2010, 09:51
by Trisha
xx
New hen house & red mite prevention

Started by Chappers on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post March 15, 2008, 15:19
by Belinda

Page created in 0.215 seconds with 38 queries.