chicken poo

• 17 Replies

Flowerpower136

Re: chicken poo
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2010, 10:53 »
I wouldn't put fresh poo of any sort direct on the garden.  To be honest, I won't even put fresh wood chips on soil near plants!

I rot everything till its lovely and dark, and moist, and good to get your hands in. Aim for the consistency of crumbly Christmas pudding, yum :D   I'm absolutely potty about compost :lol:

I'm not a sciency type, but my understanding is that the rotting process leaches nitrogen out of the soil, so much better to rot things down before you put them on the garden.

I gradually fill my compost bays throughout the year, with a mix of chipped woody and leafy and pooy things, and the following spring, its done, and really to go.  Empty the bins and start again.

8doubles

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2010, 16:03 »
I have just read a piece on cereal production (in Oz) which said fresh poultry litter is a good mid to long term slow release fertiliser and soil conditioner which is beneficial (for Oz wheat at least) lasting up to 3 years.
They also gave ph of up to 8 for fresh chook litter.

SUTTY1

• Pumpkin Champion 2010 / Super Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2010, 16:56 »
Got to agree with you flowerpower, it does take up nitrogen so needs to rot down first. Just a thought but maybe it not only the ph but possibly the concentration of chemicals etc before composting that can effect the plants adversely.

P.S. love the footer on Voices

real surprised they use it fresh in Oz

xx
New Chicken ~Owner with Chicken Emergency

Started by Jae Dawn on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post August 15, 2010, 23:22
by Thingy
xx
how much does a chicken eat?

Started by cejx on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post April 09, 2011, 11:21
by evie2
xx
Chicken not well

Started by SWhite6124 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post March 18, 2014, 11:33
by grinling
sad
Ill Chicken :(

Started by Chicken star on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post July 01, 2010, 15:39
by Trisha

Page created in 0.32 seconds with 38 queries.