Trigger feeding

• 1 Replies

Diddy Gardener

• Experienced Member
Trigger feeding
« on: June 20, 2016, 15:13 »
Due to copious amounts of wild birds (and their extended families) eating all the layers pellets, we've invested in a trigger feeder. This needs the girls to knock a 'trigger' to release food for them. It's not rocket science but these are hens we're talking about...I've demonstrated it to them many times but they just don't seem to get it - any tips?
Lucky Mother of 2 dogs, 2 cats (RiP Sherlock) and 4 chickens (welcome Brenda and Harriet)

Mr R Design

Re: Trigger feeding
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2016, 06:47 »
Not quite sure what one looks like but I think I can visualise it and my experience of getting them to use horizontal water nipples might work for you.

Remove any other feeders and food supply.

If there is a cup of some sort under the trigger by all means leave a few pellets in there.

If you are using your finger to try and teach them then don't. Use a 4 or 5 footish long thin plant stick or a piece of 5mm dowel instead, a garden cane I think would be to thick/off putting.

I could not get mine to use the nipples I am assuming because I was blocking to much of their view until I used some dowel.

Removing any other food source is a must must must. The odd pellet left in whatever is under the trigger is fine as it will click in their brain that food emanates through some mystical magic in that area and encourage them to peck around.

xx
Feeding

Started by Des C on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 31, 2007, 15:07
by Aunt Sally
xx
feeding

Started by slop jockey on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post April 12, 2010, 21:15
by joyfull
xx
Feeding

Started by cock o the north on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 30, 2008, 00:19
by Robin Redbreast
xx
feeding mum

Started by agingchick on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 02, 2009, 12:51
by agingchick

Page created in 0.215 seconds with 38 queries.