WG's tipple

• 72 Replies

WG.

WG's tipple
« on: April 01, 2007, 23:12 »
Heh Ziggy, just poured myself a wee nightcap of Dalmore.  Not a bad drop and possibly the best thing to come out of Alness since Eric Black.

ziggywigs

WG's tipple
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2007, 23:15 »
:lol:  I'd agree with that!  

Slanjivar  :D

WG.

WG's tipple
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2007, 23:18 »
Slainte Mhath   :D  :D

muntjac

WG's tipple
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2007, 23:19 »
i suppose this topic qualifies for being in this section as  " poreserving " ? the liver  :lol:
still alive /............

WG.

WG's tipple
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2007, 23:22 »
Yup, you got it mate.   Also keeps the end of the nose nice and bright red so that we can get around in the winter without the lights on.

WG.

Balvenie Doublewood
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2007, 23:18 »
Balvenie Doublewood tonight.  Absolute bl**dy nectar.  Beautiful whisky made just 6 miles along the road in Dufftown.  Same family-owned company that makes Glenfiddich.

Doublewood is pricey but well worth the money if you are looking for a gift for someone special (could include yourself, of course).   The name refers to its double maturation in two different types of oak cask.

Yup, it is right up there in my Top 5 Malts - along with about 10 others!

muntjac

WG's tipple
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2007, 23:24 »
i find i do off some people very quickly  :x  specially whne they tease :lol:

WG.

WG's tipple
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2007, 23:32 »
Quote from: "muntjac"
i find i do off some people very quickly  :x  specially whne they tease :lol:
You got your recipe slot, I got my Tipple thread!    :wink:

Don't worry though, I don't have too big a selection in the cupboard.  Pee's me off that we have to pay more for whisky than almost any other country when it is made on our doorstep.  Between excise duty and VAT, up to 80% of the price we pay is tax.  VAT is even calculated after excise duty is added in so there is tax on the tax!!!  :evil:  :evil:

WG.

Balvenie Founder's Reserve
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2007, 09:57 »
Balvenie Founder's Reserve last night & rather too much of it, I'm afraid ... charity golf game!

Founder's Reserve  is quite a bit cheaper than the Doublewood mentioned above and still an excellent drop.  Typically Speyside, it is smooth and mellow and quite easy to drink neat.

Balvenie is one of the last distilleries to use its own malting floor.  Indeed they even grow some of their own barley too so you can follow the process from beginning to end at a single location in sunny Dufftown.

ziggywigs

WG's tipple
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2007, 10:59 »
Have you tried Isle of Skye WG.....that's quite a nice tipple too.  Got some free from the IOS rep as I happened to  play on the circuit with him and his wife and it was rather nice - the dram and the golf.

WG.

WG's tipple
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2007, 11:19 »
I'm not a big one for the blended whiskies but if the IOS rep fancies a game at Huntly, I could be bought rather easily ...

ziggywigs

WG's tipple
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2007, 22:45 »
Sooo what's the tipple tonight WG????   :wink:

WG.

WG's tipple
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2007, 22:56 »
Quote from: "ziggywigs"
Sooo what's the tipple tonight WG????   :wink:

An Australian red wine actually.  Supermarket own-brand special at £2.86 per bottle and well worth the money.   I've tasted worse at £6 per bottle.

ziggywigs

WG's tipple
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2007, 23:00 »
Sounds good....mines a South African Chenin Blanc  :?

WG.

Jura
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2007, 00:01 »
Isle of Jura 10 year old single malt.

Broke the seal on a new bottle and I must say it isn't doing much for me.  Lacks the heavy peatiness which I like in other West Coast drams but also lacks the smoothness of a Speyside malt.  It has a slightly oily feel which I don't much like.

I will persevere and report further if it fares better on subsequent tastings.  There are whiskies which seem to suit your taste buds better some nights than others.

Can't complain ... I won the bottle as a door prize.

Page created in 0.18 seconds with 38 queries.