Marketmore cucumbers, can I grow them inside???

• 12 Replies

sheridal

• Experienced Member
Marketmore cucumbers, can I grow them inside???
« on: May 12, 2009, 18:59 »
I have a number of marketmore cucumbers that I  have grown from seed. Can I plant some of them inside and if I do will I get fruit sooner??  ???

I am also growing crystal lemon inside, but plan on growing them the other side of the polytunnel. Will this be ok??  :blink:

Thanks for any advice
Louisa

ben

Re: Marketmore cucumbers, can I grow them inside???
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 19:09 »
You can certainly grow cucumbers inside - I think its dodgier to grow them outside.
They love heat (within reason) so yes, I expect they will fruit earlier inside than outside.

DavidT

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 19:14 »
Though Marketmore are a ridge, or outdoor, cucumber, apparently they do quite well in the greenhouse. You will need to keep a check on the watering, but go for it. If they fail then it`s a little more knowledge gained. :D

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 19:17 »
That's not quite the point, ben. In fact my outdoor ones have provided me with cucumbers when the greenhouse ones have failed.

These cucumbers are "designed" to be grown outside, so how they will do inside, I cannot say having never tried it. Perhaps someone who has will advise.

The main thing that crosses my mind is pollination. Outdoor ones need to be pollinated and reply on bees & insects to do so. These are not found in the same quantities in the greenhouse.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

gawk

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 19:22 »
Unless you have a bee hive in the greenhouse you will have to play God with a soft brush and force them to have sex  ;)
It's all too much!

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2009, 19:26 »
And here's me trying to be subtle!

SpudtheBinx

• Experienced Member
    • dave and becca blog
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2009, 19:30 »
I grew two marketmore plants inside a cool shady leanto on the north wall of my shed, and three outside in a sunny position last year. The ones inside provided me with a few fruit and the ones outside just stayed really stunted and gave one tiny fruit. The ones outside managed to get choked with cooch grass so that probably does have some bearing on it, but these are my results.

gawk

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2009, 19:33 »

heh heh - I had to get it off my chest DD as I'm building up my God like qualities for my F1 Burpless Tasty Green's which are in my greenhouse!

ben

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2009, 19:35 »
Apologies for the poor advice.

gobs

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2009, 19:54 »
Marketmore of the past - the newer ones are apparently better - have a lot of thumbs down from the public, even like: 'You just looked at them they died.' I've never grown them, but refer to the seed packet, it's really a pollination and rampancy question.  I would not put either burpless or lemon cuke in the GH, a waste of space and they do plenty well outside.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

gawk

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2009, 20:03 »
I would not put either burpless or lemon cuke in the GH, a waste of space and they do plenty well outside.

Next year I'll take a little more care choosing which variety to put in the greenhouse  :blush: Trying burpless both inside and outside this year (did I mention it was my first year with a greenhouse!) so it will be interesting to see how they get on.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2009, 20:34 »

heh heh - I had to get it off my chest DD as I'm building up my God like qualities for my F1 Burpless Tasty Green's which are in my greenhouse!

I grew burpless tasy green 2 years ago, boy, I had so many cucumbers I didn't know what to do with them all!!!

Noah'strolly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2009, 18:02 »
I've got marketmore in a mini greenhouse they've got about 5  15cm long cues between the four of them but I open the flap in the daytime. If the rest of your crops don't mind perhaps you could open the door.

xx
Marketmore cucumbers

Started by Rowan on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 01, 2008, 22:01
by richyrich7
xx
Marketmore Cucumbers

Started by BumbleJo on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 26, 2016, 14:27
by BumbleJo
xx
Marketmore cucumbers any advice

Started by bigben on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post April 25, 2011, 10:47
by BabbyAnn
xx
Cucumbers..grow up!

Started by Andrew n on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post March 05, 2013, 19:19
by devonbarmygardener

Page created in 0.343 seconds with 38 queries.