Horse Manure!

• 17 Replies

freefolk

• Experienced Member
Horse Manure!
« on: December 05, 2017, 18:09 »
I took some freshly picked up manure over the road today, to the chap who has a paddock.  He said he would take it....he has a pile of about 2 tons!  When it is rotted down he puts it in bags and leaves it outside the paddock gate.  "Free to anyone who wants some, just help yourself" he said.  I just LOVE country living. :D :D :D

Dev

• Experienced Member
Re: Horse Manure!
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2017, 18:55 »
Can you transport it to Hull? 

oldgrunge

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2017, 20:02 »
Used to get free horse manurey from the farm up the road, bags and bags of it. Then my old car died, and I replaced it with a scooter. So, no more horse manure for me! My wife won't let me use the Sunday best car to carry it.
Mind you, the trouble with horse manure is, it carries lots of weed seeds, I imported a comprehensive range of new weed species into my garden when I was using it.
We come from the earth, we return to the earth, and in between we garden.

rowlandwells

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2017, 20:37 »
I've been using horse manure now for many years the lady I collect it from we used to pick it up in bags then the lady bought a trailer so no more bags

I collect it  on a monthly basis take it down the allotment stack it for around twelve months before using it

the other thing is with using horse manure I had real problems with soil capping through the growing season tried many things but found after spreading a good layer of horse manure  had no capping problems the ground cultivates very good

had some problems with weeds but nothing I couldn't handle just a note of caution some horse manure contains weed killer that comes from spraying the grass with weed killer prior to cutting for hay for feed so it mite be worth asking the farmer if he sprays as you could end up free manure being a real pain when growing veg

freefolk

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2017, 21:23 »
I will check with the horse owner regarding the weed killer, although I think he might have mentioned it to me earlier when I collected it.

Aled

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2017, 09:47 »
There is a pile of really nicely rotted horse manure on the paddock just up the road from me, I politely asked the landowner "help yourself take as much as you want". I need to wheelbarrow it down to my plot, but I'm not complaining the exercise is well worth it.
Cheers
Aled 

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2017, 13:22 »
There is a pile of really nicely rotted horse manure on the paddock just up the road from me, I politely asked the landowner "help yourself take as much as you want". I need to wheelbarrow it down to my plot, but I'm not complaining the exercise is well worth it.
Cheers
Aled

They have loads of it and would be glad to find a home for some of it ... nice find though  :D :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Goosegirl

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2017, 15:05 »
I'm a great advocate of horse manure and have never had any problems with weeds or any other possible nasties plus it's cheap to buy.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2017, 16:26 »
To state the obvious,weed seeds in horse muck depend on what sort of pasture the horses graze on. Our pasture is full of buttercups and clover which can create a problem with their muck unless it's really well rotted

freefolk

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2018, 15:00 »
Further to the above, I was yesterday shown a huge (and I mean "climb up it and plant a flag on top" huge) pile of manure over the road.  It is from where the horses were in a different field a year or two ago.  It is black, crumbly, non-smelling, 12-18 months old  and - best of all - FREE!  Wheelbarrow here I come. :D :D

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2018, 15:38 »
I wish you all lived a bit closer. We have three geriatric ponies who spend their days (and nights) defecating the stuff. I think my beds are 50% rotted manure and can't take any more

freefolk

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2018, 20:26 »
I take kit you have advertised locally with gardening clubs, allotment societies etc to "come and get it"?  You'd think someone would want some! ???

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2018, 21:14 »
Yes, one or two gardeners come occasionally with a trailer and take some

Eblana

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2018, 22:23 »
My daughter has a pony who is in a livery stable.  I have been told I can have as much of the manure as I want.  The owner will fill the trailer for me with fresh stuff (leave the trailer for the week and when I come back it is full).  If I want the well rotted stuff around the back of the stables I have to fill the trailer myself.  Currently taking a combination of both the well rotted stuff goes straight on the plot and the fresh stuff is being piled up for next year.

Aled

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2018, 14:34 »
Who would of thought a pile of sh*t would of got us all so excited...(please note I am only joking us gardeners love a pile of sh*t!!) :nowink:  :D :D
Cheers
Aled

xx
How good is Pig Manure mixed with Horse Manure?

Started by MichelleC on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post December 05, 2011, 17:50
by MichelleC
xx
Green manure or horse manure?

Started by yorkiegal on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 10, 2012, 01:12
by Trillium
xx
Horse manure

Started by kitch on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post February 11, 2016, 20:00
by AlaninCarlisle
xx
Horse manure

Started by theakston_uk on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 15, 2009, 22:50
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.416 seconds with 38 queries.