Cat-facing in tomatoes

• 8 Replies

trunk monkey

Cat-facing in tomatoes
« on: August 17, 2017, 17:30 »
About half of my beef tomatoes "costo lutto florentino" are cat faced (a hole at the blossom end filled with scar tissue) it looks like the fruit has had some sort of hernia. I have read various causes for this. Do any members of the forum have experience of this condition and/or how to avoid it.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Cat-facing in tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2017, 17:50 »
It happens when the plant produces mega blooms (they look like 2 or more flowers fused together) the resulting fruit is always catfaced. Costoluto and the other big tomatoes seem to produce more of these large blooms than the ordinary or cherry size varieties.

They do make the largest fruit, but if you don't like the untidy 'bottoms' you are best to remove the megablooms, and only allow the ordinary flowers to set fruit.

8doubles

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2017, 19:54 »
Costoluto fiorentino(sp?) is a very tasty tomato , who cares what they look like ! :)

Growster...

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2017, 20:30 »
We got a sharp stiletto saw/knife a few years ago; it's great for cutting out the black bits and hard stuff on an ugly tom.

I always think carving a lovely tom like this is like carving anything meaty, and, they really are worth the effort...

trunk monkey

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2017, 21:55 »
Thanks mumofstig and yes they are a tasty tomato. I apologise for the spelling but we do not have much call for Italian in South Yorkshire. :wacko: My next question what causes the megablooms or is it just a characteristic of the variety? Thanks again Trunky

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2017, 08:18 »
I don't know what causes the mega blooms Trunky, but I find most of the big beef steak tomatoes cat face fairly regularly.  Like Growster, I just cut any really ugly bits out and eat the rest  :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2017, 10:09 »
My next question what causes the megablooms or is it just a characteristic of the variety? Thanks again Trunky

I always assumed it was a combination of genetics (some varieties do it more than others) and weather conditions. It seems to happen more often on the first truss, which could be the result of cool night time temperatures at planting out time. Even in the greenhouse the thermometer often shows less than 10C at night during May (and even in August this year  >:()

Growster...

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2017, 10:42 »
In the 'Great Crimson Crush Experiment', there are some really weird toms appearing, most of them quite large too with great black areas near the stem and flower end, which can be carved off...

They had odd blooms as well as stems like tree trunks, and are producing fruits like crazy!

8doubles

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2017, 21:37 »
I have always put black areas down as blossom end rot which i used to get even if i was a saint with the watering regime ::)

The grey to brown scabs (not a nice word but i believe in calling a digging tool a digging tool ) i always put down to genetics in the plants .

xx
Are we facing a slug plague?

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post August 31, 2007, 10:05
by WG.
xx
fruit for a west-facing fence

Started by lazza on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post July 20, 2011, 13:30
by Nobbie
xx
west facing shed wall

Started by dmg on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 18, 2012, 21:52
by dmg
xx
Apple trees in NW facing garden

Started by boogaloo on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 31, 2012, 13:15
by Nikkithefoot

Page created in 0.447 seconds with 35 queries.