What I did in the Greenhouse or Polytunnel today

• 400 Replies

Lardman

Re: What I did in the Greenhouse or Polytunnel today
« Reply #330 on: June 05, 2016, 12:41 »
Fought my way into the bottom greenhouse.  It's not good.  :(

It's been a while since I've had a chance to get in there and things have been rather neglected. Most of the green leafy has run to seed and the cell trays look dry and crispy. I've soaked most of it hopefully some of the toms and peppers will be ok the jury is out on the rest of it.

Im a little stuck for pots with all of my 5ltr ones being used for the grafted apples so anything that perks up will be going into 15ltr which feels such a waste.  I might see if I can get to the top GH this afternoon, hopefully that will just need the borders turning over.  :nowink:

Lardman

« Reply #331 on: June 09, 2016, 19:44 »
Potted up the toms, I've managed to save enough to make it worth while even if they'll be a little late this year. Shirley, black cherry, rio grande and sweet aperitif and a sickly sungold. The chilli's aren't looking so good though and the lollipop labels didn't do to well left soaking  ::)

To my surprise both the early burpless and the marketmore cukes picked up after sitting in water for a few days  :) the la diva didn't fair so well - i've resown.

All the herbs are toast as is most of the lettuce but it could have been worse.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #332 on: June 09, 2016, 20:05 »
At least somethings were saved, which was a miracle by the sound of things   ::)

Lardman

« Reply #333 on: September 13, 2016, 11:19 »
Clean out time.  It's been a bit of a rubbish year and things have reached a natural end.

Too many cukes this year and the 2 new varieties I grew both repeated badly  :(  the chickens liked them though.

I fed the tomatoes some comfrey early on and they really didn't like it, Im not sure if I mixed it too strong or if it's contaminated with something (note to self to buy a commercial food next year). They limped along and produced a dozen or so fruit each, ok for a shirley not impressive for a sungold.

The chilli's have yet to produce, it's getting a bit late so I'll look at overwintering them and the pepino are again nothing more than spider mite food.

No sign of blight or botrytis this year - Im not sure if that's just luck, the increased plant spacing or the fact I soaked cleaned everything with jeyes in the winter.

chillimummy

« Reply #334 on: September 13, 2016, 13:06 »
Chopped off anything that looked like blight from my tomatoes and hoping for the best as lots of green tomatoes left to ripen. More cucumbers growing after I thought they were all done  :)
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.

Marcus Tullius Cicero

Any Comments ? :
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?board=38.0

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #335 on: January 11, 2017, 12:26 »
I've been out today and fleeced over all the overwintering seedlings and cuttings and wrapped up the 2 Oleanders, in the big greenhouse, ready for the cold that's on the cards for the next couple of weeks.

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=news;storyid=7892;sess=

Lardman

« Reply #336 on: February 04, 2017, 08:37 »
Took a quick look around the bottom greenhouse yesterday. It's a bit of a mess  :blush: 

Moss and algae all over the place, the overwintered peppers are dead and furry, the physallis has dropped its fruit and we wont say anything about the things in 3" pots which never made it into the garden last year  ::)

It really needs a good clean and a then a spray with jeyes, on the list as is finding the salad seeds.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #337 on: February 04, 2017, 09:35 »
Much the same in my Norfolk greenhouse *blush*

I made a start on the small glasshouse the other day, but the glass obviously needs cleaning on all 3. We're in for another cold spell, so the outsides will have to wait!

Lulu

• Winner Best Sunflower - 2012
« Reply #338 on: February 05, 2017, 14:32 »
My greenhouse is very green, thought it was to do with overgrown trees etc. These have been hacked back.  My dahlia tubers that were in the green house went mouldy too.  I was thinking of burning one of those candle that gets rids of some pests but can't remember what it's called - was it sulphur?? I will also clean it when it gets warmer.
Wash your hands, stay at home, distance yourself

snowdrops

« Reply #339 on: February 05, 2017, 17:51 »
Yes my greenhouse needs a jolly good clean inside & out too. I went in today to access the dustbin of compost to fill some trays & pots, but I brought those into the kitchen, watered them with hot water to warm the compost before sowing onions- 3 varieties, aubergines-2 varieties, chilli's-2 varieties, alpine strawberries & some lemon grass. They are now in the propagator in the conservatory, no heat to either
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

compostqueen

« Reply #340 on: February 05, 2017, 18:59 »
I was clearing out last year's dead crops.  Very enjoyable session.  Out with the old .....  :D  I picked some goodly chillies  :tongue2:

Paul Plots

« Reply #341 on: February 05, 2017, 22:57 »
I did something in the greenhouse today - I covered the over-wintering plants with fleece and shut the door.

Yesterday, in the free-standing greenhouse, I put 90 shallots in modular cells and left them on a shelf hoping to give them an earlier start as I often do... keeps me happy thinking they'll soon develop roots and begin to shoot.  :)  here's hoping.
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

LandShark

• Experienced Member
« Reply #342 on: February 11, 2017, 18:53 »
Progress, that's what!
My polytunnel cover blew off during the festive period bad weather, so we've taken the opportunity to move it ! Yesterday we dug it out and turned it 90 degrees and today the OH started building a wooden frame for it to sit on ( he's been watching youtube videos). He's cemented in posts and attached a frame so it's raising the height by about 12" should hopefully complete it tomorrow. The cover should go back on next week so fingers crossed I can start planting!!
I miss my tunnel and my neighbours have just put up a new one!!

stompy

« Reply #343 on: February 13, 2017, 13:27 »
I inherited 2 green houses 6ft x 8ft and another 5ft x 6ft.
I have removed some of the glass and replaced some of the clips as they have rusted.
I also move the staging to the sunny side and put my potatoes in trays to chit under a tripple layer of fleece.
Will be sowny my caullies and calabrese in modules this week.

Andy

LandShark

• Experienced Member
« Reply #344 on: February 27, 2017, 22:08 »
Yesterday we managed to get the polytunnel cover back on and secured to it's new wooden base just before the high winds tried to take it back off! There's a few tears in the plastic but I'll fix them with tape for this season. The door frame is in position I just need to make a door but I've still to dig drainage channels, lay 50m drainage pipe and fill it with gravel (the area it stands in gets very waterlogged) which I hope to get done this coming week.

xx
Polytunnel vs greenhouse.

Started by Kate and her Ducks on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

9 Replies
Last post November 23, 2012, 00:54
by John
xx
Greenhouse V Polytunnel?

Started by fallen angel on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

13 Replies
Last post February 21, 2016, 19:02
by BabbyAnn
xx
Polytunnel or Greenhouse

Started by ches on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

5 Replies
Last post July 02, 2019, 08:38
by sunshineband
xx
Greenhouse or Polytunnel?

Started by Clarky86 on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

5 Replies
Last post August 31, 2017, 21:13
by grinling

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 52 queries.