When will comfrey appear?

• 16 Replies

JohnB47

When will comfrey appear?
« on: February 14, 2010, 19:00 »
Hi.

I planted some comfrey roots last Sept in pots at home (Bocking 14 that I bought by post) then transplanted them to the allotment in Nov, whereupon they promptly died right back.

There's no sign of activity as yet but I'm pretty sure they haven't died (I've read that you'd have to go nuclear to get rid of them). When they will regrow? Is it possible that I'll have some leaves to use when I'm planting my spuds (from mid March onwards, probably)?

Ta.

SPUDMIESTER

• Life is too short to be stuck inside!
Re: When will comfrey appear?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 19:24 »
John

What do you use the leaves for at the time of planting? :blink: :blink:

M0rph3u5

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 19:26 »
my plants are just beginning to show some signs of life

you will be amazed at how quickly they shoot up when the weather improves slightly

if you dont get emough leaf for the earlies you will certaintly get them shortly after for the next batch of tates

JohnB47

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 19:47 »
Thanks both.

Spudmeiter - I've read that using some comfrey leaves in the trench along with your spuds is a useful way of providing them with some food as they start growing. I've even read that some people wrap each spud in a couple of leaves as they plant them!

I'm not an expert - just reading stuff and choosing some things that I might try this year (my first full year with the allotment).

Cheers.

SPUDMIESTER

• Life is too short to be stuck inside!
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2010, 20:07 »
Thanks John

Haven't heard of that tip before .I grow my comphrey next to my water butts then snap a bunch of leaves off , place in one of the plastic net bags you get yer seed spuds in and tie the other end to the edge of the butt and place in the water to rot down as a liquid fertilizer.Might have to give your idea a go.

Last year was my first full year too. I grew anyas,roosters which were lovely and untouched but the full bed of Marfonas i dug up in August were full of fat slugs and scab.Has anyone got any good advice or tips on preventing both these ?

boosh

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2010, 20:15 »
Hi There

My comfrey plants have just started to show signs of life,
I was also told in there first year don't cut them to often, like most plants they need time to establish.
After that you can take upto 6 cuttings a year.
As i've said on another post they are a fanstatic potatoe fertalizer, In the hole as you plant or as a mulch when you earth up.
They can be used as a mulch round most veg,with the bonus they feed the plant and soil at the same time.

hope this helps

Epona_4

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2010, 20:19 »
uh oh i think i killed my comfrey! well....i bought some roots and potted them to get them started (big pots) they grew and the ducks got into the veg part and ate all the leaves from the comfrey so i thought they might recover but they didnt and now i think its dead!  :(

LivvyW

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2010, 20:35 »
i planted mine out in apr may last year, let them grow, they flowered too.

Weeded around them last weekend and they are just beginning to show signs of life.
Liv.

massa

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2010, 22:32 »
where is the best place to buy comfrey from i dont know if i should buy root cuttings of the internet or wait till the garden centres get some plants in? does it make much difference either way?

JohnB47

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2010, 23:12 »
where is the best place to buy comfrey from i dont know if i should buy root cuttings of the internet or wait till the garden centres get some plants in? does it make much difference either way?

Well, it might be cheaper to buy over the internet but the main thing, I think, is to buy an infertile type. 'Bocking 14' is a variety that has been developed so as not to propagate by seed, so you don't have to worry about spreading your comfrey all over the allotment site and annoy your neighbours. It can only be propagaged by root cuttings and that's typically how you buy it by post - little black stumps that romp away when you plant them. Google for "bocking 14 comfrey" and see what I mean.

Edit: silly me - there's info on this site! see here:

http://www.allotment-garden.org/vegetable/comfrey/index.php

Good luck.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 23:15 by JohnB47 »

viettaclark

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2010, 00:15 »
epona 4 don't worry! My chickens wasted my potted comfrey but I planted it out last Autumn and it's coming up...you can't keep a good comfrey plant down!
Problem is, the chooks have discovered how to get over the chicken wire and I MUST get out there and net it off before it all gets eaten AGAIN!

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2010, 00:22 »
Will comfrey grow in deep shade? I've got a corner of my garden where nothing will grow after snowdrops because it's in the deep shade of a horse chestnut. And there's actually a raised bed there that I've never used because the shade is so deep I couldn't think of anything that would live there. Is comfrey tough enough to cope with this?

JohnB47

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2010, 11:25 »
shokkyy - here is a quote from the section on this website that I gave a link to in my earlier post: "Comfrey will thrive in full sun or in partial to near full shade - there is usually a disused corner that will make a great site for your comfrey bed."

I've no experience myself. I'm sure others will respond.

peterjf

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2010, 12:02 »
we use our comfrey tea to feed just abouyt everything green , especially our fruit trees and bushes , 2 x 7 LTS for each apple , pear , black current bush, but the tea IS A GOOD ALL ROUND FEED , just be carefull not to breath whilst filing the watering cans

1 lt of tea per 6 lts of water from water butts on the plot ,

peterjf

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2010, 12:03 »
cumfrey will be be popping up by the end of march if not before ,

your right when you say "its almost indistructable " but it will return , return , return

xx
Comfrey

Started by Eblana on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 04, 2016, 23:57
by mrsbean
xx
comfrey

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 10, 2013, 21:40
by maxie
question
comfrey tea

Started by gypsy on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post September 21, 2010, 18:48
by Coach
xx
Comfrey

Started by Sparkyrog on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post March 25, 2015, 20:31
by Sparkyrog

Page created in 0.361 seconds with 39 queries.