Identification 2 - A Weed

• 13 Replies

Brutus

Identification 2 - A Weed
« on: June 02, 2013, 16:08 »
Hi,

This time I have a question about a weed I have in my garden. After a long struggle with ground elder, i am now beginning to defeat this menace using a glyphosate weedkiller.  The local brand of the stuff is a fairly weak solution called "Roundup G" and it has taken several applications to kill off the ground elder. You can't buy the Roundup 360 in Sweden unless you (1) can show you own woodlands and (2) you have been trained and have a permit.

Now I have a new one which is taking off and the glyphosate doesn't seem to touch it, but I am sure it is one that is common in the UK as well as Sweden and you will recognise it.  It is not a broadleaf, but rather a spindled, articulated thing which grows up to two feet tall.  There is a pic below and I would appreciate any advice on how to get rid of it without digging it up.

Thanks,

Brutus
P1020018.JPG

jim1972

Re: Identification 2 - A Weed
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2013, 16:52 »
Hi

Looks a bit like mares tail

Cheers
jim

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2013, 17:00 »
It looks more than a bit like like mare's tail.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Brutus

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2013, 17:10 »
Mare's tail.  Thanks.  ;)

What's the best way to get rid?  Is there a weedkiller that works on this because glyphosate doesn't seem to work.

Brutus

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2013, 17:42 »
This may help
http://www.allotment-garden.org/garden-diary/189/ammonium-sulphamate-weed-killer-banned/

we can buy ammonium sulphamate as a compost accelerator, but not as a weed killer, I don't know what the rules are where you are, though.

Brutus

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2013, 17:45 »
Ammonium Sulphamate - thanks, Lesley. I guess I could buy some in the UK and bring it back in my trailer.

There are rules here about what they can sell in garden centres, but I don't think there are any laws governing importation to use in your own garden.

Brutus

rich24uk

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2013, 18:07 »
It's a nightmare to get rid of. BUT as I have found out, it wont do any sort of lasting damage to anything else growing. The general advice is to continue hoeing it back weekly and you could try bruising the leaf so that a product like Round Up can penetrate it. It's annoying but because it is so unlike anything else in the ground, you can usually spot it a mile off and pull it away.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2013, 18:26 »
Marestail is a prehistoric organism, which gives you some idea of its staying power ...  :ohmy:

It has a silica coating on its leaves, which is why glyphosate runs straight off it unless, as someone else already wrote, you bruise it first.  One way of doing this is to wear something like socks over plastic gloves (the latter to protect your hands from the weedkiller), dip the socks in the weedkiller, and pull your hands over the leaves.  Take care not to drip the weedkiller though.

The top of the plant does pull out relatively easily, I understand, and keep going at it every week - never let it see a Sunday, as Aunt Sally says - and you will weaken it in time.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

jezza

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2013, 00:23 »
hi its mares tale roundup will kill it  if you trample on it first then use roundup verdone extra mix with 1percent washing up liquid (wettingagent) verdone extra has oxadisan which can stain paths and carpets (doesnt killcarpets)found trampling method by mistake when i worked in market garden took lettuce marker roller through mares tale boss sprayed next day took 5 feet wide strip out to the floor in 10 days  jezza

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2013, 22:08 »
hi its mares tale roundup will kill it  if you trample on it first then use roundup verdone extra mix with 1percent washing up liquid (wettingagent) verdone extra has oxadisan which can stain paths and carpets (doesnt killcarpets)found trampling method by mistake when i worked in market garden took lettuce marker roller through mares tale boss sprayed next day took 5 feet wide strip out to the floor in 10 days  jezza

This is the only entry I can find on the Pesticides database for Verdone Extra:
https://secure.pesticides.gov.uk/pestreg/getfullproduct.asp?productid=23596&pageno=1&origin=prodsearch

It does not contain glyphosate, and is not licensed for use on anything except lawns.  Furthermore, it appears to contain clopyralid as an active ingredient, which is one of the pesticides found in contaminated manure and which causes damage to many veg crops including beans / courgettes / spuds / tomatoes.

Please could you double check the product you are referring to, Jezza, and clarify.

We do not allow endorsements of products for uses other than the license permits, and if it is indeed the product I've linked to, you will be one of the most unpopular people on the allotment site if you use clopyralid on your site and it gets transferred to someone else's plots through spray / drift / walking.

jezza

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2013, 23:22 »
if you read my reply i said round up mixed with verdone.extra i did not say verdone extra containd glyphoste  i never use products with clorprodyl the verdone i use contains m.c.p.a 24d difluracan and oxadisan whch is specific to small cinqefoil the little yellow lawn weed jezza

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2013, 23:57 »
Thanks for your clarification.

The Pesticides Database specifically states that the only product called Verdone Extra has clopyralid in.  As does Verdone Extra ready to use.

The only Verdone product which contains the ingredients you list, according to the Pesticides Database, is in fact called Verdone Ultra.
https://secure.pesticides.gov.uk/pestreg/getfullproduct.asp?productid=24062&pageno=1&origin=prodsearch

I am sure that you appreciate the need for precision and lack of ambiguity when recommending anything chemical.

This product is equally only licensed for use in lawns and so if anyone is considering using it in any other situation, they need to be aware that this would not be legal and so cannot be condoned or encouraged on this site.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 23:59 by Yorkie »

jezza

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2013, 23:41 »
A question was asked how to eradicate mares tale i gave an answer which you dont like if you know of any otherway to clear mares tale then let people know You think my suggestion was wrong what about those idiots on allotments who put 5 litres of roundup in a 4 gallon sprayer and add 3 gallons of water theyre doing more damage than  adding 20 millileters of verdone to 20 litres of correctly mixed round up Then theres the idiots who use roundup as a lawn spot weedkiller then ask for damage to be repaired   jezza

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2013, 19:58 »
A question was asked how to eradicate mares tale i gave an answer which you dont like if you know of any otherway to clear mares tale then let people know You think my suggestion was wrong

It is not a question of whether I like it or not.  The rule on this website is that we don't condone or encourage the illegal use of weedkillers.  We expect members to abide by the site rules.

clip
weed identification help

Started by Grubbypaws on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post May 10, 2018, 12:38
by Grubbypaws
xx
Weed Identification

Started by belto on General Gardening

8 Replies
Last post July 26, 2010, 22:26
by sunshineband
xx
weed identification

Started by Jasper1 on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post October 07, 2011, 16:44
by PeterP
clip
IDentification

Started by mrs bouquet on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post August 05, 2020, 16:39
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.144 seconds with 39 queries.