Duck eggs

• 3 Replies

Springlands

Duck eggs
« on: August 13, 2011, 11:43 »
Our two ducks have finally started laying eggs (and we have found out that the third duck is actually a drake, but that is another story  ::) ). They seem to lay their eggs in the muckiest part of the run. I know that hens eggs should not be washed after they are laid but what about ducks eggs - does the same apply. Would appreciate any advice.

Ps - a number of the eggs seem to be double yolkers - is that normal for ducks.

Caralou

• Family Member.
    • Lowcostliving
Re: Duck eggs
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2011, 12:10 »
My ducks are also pains, they lay in the "manky corner" or in the ponds! If they lay in the ponds I dispose of the eggs, if they lay in the mud/ickyness I use an egg wash. Most poultry places will sell an egg wash and although it is best not to wash your eggs obviously if your ducks are like mine you would have too much wastage if not washing. The one I have is the Biolink Liquid Egg Wash and so far I havent had any spoilt eggs as a result of washing. I do sometimes have to wash chicken eggs as the OAP's in their senility may occassionally remember how to lay an egg but where to lay is also usually a hidden away place with mud  ::)

Springlands

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 12:19 »
Thanks Caralou - will give the eggs a gently wash if they are really dirty. Have not had any laid in the pool yet - but if so will dispose of them.  :)

Madclucker

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2011, 14:41 »
I guess i must be quite lucky, one of my young ducks laid her first egg last tuesday on the floor outside in the mud, the next egg was in front of their shed in the straw and each egg since has been inside the shed in one corner in a nice little nest  :wub: bless her  :D

xx
wanted mandarin duck eggs and peacock eggs please - wales

Started by CMFAM on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post May 04, 2008, 16:00
by babe
xx
Duck Eggs

Started by Jellyhead on The Hen House

24 Replies
Last post November 12, 2007, 23:35
by noshed
xx
DUCK EGGS!

Started by WR1 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post July 05, 2008, 20:41
by WR1
xx
Duck eggs

Started by jonny1982 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post February 11, 2008, 16:19
by slowef

Page created in 0.243 seconds with 39 queries.