Open to the elements

• 5 Replies

johnyboy

Open to the elements
« on: October 23, 2011, 15:34 »
Hi There.

I am a little concerned about planning my new allotment next year. All the books I have read say that there is a requirement for a degree of protection from the wind and some stronger weather elements. My plot is slap bang in the middle of lots of others and has absolutely no protection against Wind. I am starting from scratch and nothing is in the plot at all yet. I am looking to grow blackcurrants and other berries, will this cause me a big problem. Is there any advice as to best plan the plot to minimise the openess of the area?

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: Open to the elements
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2011, 15:51 »
Where in the country are you, johnyboy.

AndyRVTR

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2011, 15:56 »
Hi Johnny... I would say your plot is in the right place if its slap bang in the middle.... just remember the people around you will be growing at the same time as you, the higher their crops get, the better protection yours will have  :)

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2011, 16:12 »
Andy has a good point - other plots will literally shelter yours once the growing season begins.

One garden I had was at the top of a very windy hill and my poor lettuces and young toms got battered. So I got some wood roofing slats, about 6" wide and about 8-10" tall and stuck them into the ground to the windward side of each plant. It worked well. By the time the seasonal winds mellowed off, the growing season was in full swing and my plants were strong enough to hold their own.

If you find there's still troublesome wind, put up a length of fine mesh fencing (can be plastic netting even) to the windward side. The mesh breaks the strength of the wind and the plants can cope better.

johnyboy

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2011, 21:34 »
Where in the country are you, johnyboy.

Hi there, thanks for replying I am in Sunny Worcestershire.

johnyboy

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2011, 21:40 »
Andy has a good point - other plots will literally shelter yours once the growing season begins.

One garden I had was at the top of a very windy hill and my poor lettuces and young toms got battered. So I got some wood roofing slats, about 6" wide and about 8-10" tall and stuck them into the ground to the windward side of each plant. It worked well. By the time the seasonal winds mellowed off, the growing season was in full swing and my plants were strong enough to hold their own.

If you find there's still troublesome wind, put up a length of fine mesh fencing (can be plastic netting even) to the windward side. The mesh breaks the strength of the wind and the plants can cope better.

Great advice many thanks for your help

xx
Squashed By The Elements

Started by erainn on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post May 04, 2011, 17:57
by Yorkie
xx
'Open Day' Competiton

Started by Reidragon on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post April 08, 2009, 10:36
by Reidragon
xx
Allotment Open Day

Started by susan63 on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post July 15, 2009, 17:44
by Lee1978
xx
Allotment Open Day

Started by compostqueen on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 21, 2008, 14:49
by Tigerhair

Page created in 0.315 seconds with 38 queries.