Poorly looking Chicken

• 5 Replies

Nikkithefoot

Poorly looking Chicken
« on: April 30, 2018, 11:18 »
One of my neighbours chickens is a little odd.

For the past few weeks she has gone from looking miserable as in the photo to 'normal ' and back again several times. She seems to be worse when it is cooler and perks up when sunny and warm Temp under wings the same as her peers, reasonable bodyweight again when compared to her peers. Estimated age ?? not sure if she was one of the original flock 3 years ago or one of 4 rescue hens from last summer so could be 3 years plus.

Not egg bound, no mites, no dirty bum, no snottybeak, no harsh breathing, her comb is a very tiny bit paler than the others but is its usual size. She was laying until winter when all of them had a rest. Unsure if laying as part of mixed flock of 6 and currently usually 4-5 eggs laid per day (there is one bantam in the flock and her eggs are more distinctive and she only seems to lay when she feels like it) , in 6 different shades when compared side by side, but I know from my own hens the shade does vary a little on a daily basis.

Eating and free ranging in the garden along with her mates but spending more time hunched up over last 10 days and takes herself off to bed about 7pm, with the others not going in until at least 8-8.30 pm or later. If you try to catch her she finds the energy to escape so we have had to gang up on her to check her over, or go after dark when she is asleep.

Have noticed she is occasionally a little wobbly on her legs, but then seems to perk up the next day. Not come out of the hen house this morning so far.

Any suggestions?
Chicken 2.jpg
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Poorly looking Chicken
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2018, 11:41 »
When a hen is hunched up like that, they can be pretty sick.  They mask problems whenever they can, so she is likely to be suffering to show it so clearly  :(

If there are no detectable signs of illness,  I'd suggest a vet visit asap.  She may have an infection somewhere and need some antibiotics.  If it has been going on for a while it really needs sorting out.

ghost61

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2018, 18:04 »
One of my hens was a bit wobbly and then 'flumped' around on the ground and looked very sorry for herself - closed eyes, and whe they were open, they had lost their glint.  I took her in, gave her a warm bath and blow dry, followed by some drip fed tonic and colloidal silver.  Hubby came home, saw her, and thought 'better get the grave dug', but an hour later she was eating and itching to get outside.  Kept her separate but within sight of the other hens in the coop overnight, and two days later she was absolutely back to normal.

I think that whilst free ranging she may have eaten something 'wrong'.  Try keeping her in and feeding her pellets (or mash) and greens with plenty of water etc. 

If she's running away from you, she's still got some go in her.

Fingers crossed!  Let us know what happens.

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2018, 12:44 »
She carried on free ranging in the grden. Some days appearing 'normal' some days looking like the picture, but no pattern as such. Was pecking at some of the other hens in the flock as she had always done so behaviour was also vaguely normal for her. Still couldn't catch her other than by cornering her which we felt was too stressful for her.

Owner spoke with the vets who felt there was no point in taking her in as it was unlikely there was anything to be done as her symptoms were quite 'vague' and she appeared to get better between bouts of looking poorly.

Sadly she did die, was found in the nest box yesterday morning.

ghost61

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2018, 19:04 »
Oh bless, sorry to hear that news.  I'm abroad at the moment and so grateful to hear news that my hen that showed similar symptoms is doing fine.  Hens are so unpredictable.  Take care.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2018, 10:39 »
She carried on free ranging in the grden. Some days appearing 'normal' some days looking like the picture, but no pattern as such. Was pecking at some of the other hens in the flock as she had always done so behaviour was also vaguely normal for her. Still couldn't catch her other than by cornering her which we felt was too stressful for her.

Owner spoke with the vets who felt there was no point in taking her in as it was unlikely there was anything to be done as her symptoms were quite 'vague' and she appeared to get better between bouts of looking poorly.

Sadly she did die, was found in the nest box yesterday morning.

That's a real shame, but I would have asked another vet for their opinion tbh.  It might have been something infectious that could have affected the rest of the birds.  They also mask illness very well, so she may have been suffering pain over her last few weeks.

You can always get hold of a chicken - just wait until they have gone to bed and pick them gently out of the coop and into a box ready to check over the next day.  I've done it with mine and they are happy sleeping somewhere cool and dark until the next day  :)

xx
poorly chicken/s

Started by redspookycooky on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post November 06, 2009, 21:06
by Foxy
xx
Poorly chicken

Started by debih on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post October 11, 2012, 09:00
by Sassy
xx
poorly chicken

Started by Brice Easdown on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post September 12, 2009, 11:10
by dizzylizzie
xx
Should poorly chicken be PTS?

Started by ChristyRose on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post August 30, 2011, 19:05
by daisy1990

Page created in 0.268 seconds with 41 queries.