Potatoes: This is worth trying

• 19 Replies

Ivor Backache

Potatoes: This is worth trying
« on: March 09, 2016, 19:09 »
Some time ago I was shredding newspapers to mix with the greens in the compost heap when I  got to the last one there was a number of keel slugs stuck to it. They had not eaten through the paper so I thought if I lined the potato trenches with newspaper then perhaps it would protect the crop.

I initially used a whole newspaper opened out but realised that I would not have enough so I rationed it to 10 sheets. I then half filled the trench with homemade compost and covered with soil and left it to settle. During April I planted Charlotte, Kestrel and Desiree. That was followed by careful hoeing up and usual feeding and watering.

The crop I lifted was by far the least slug damaged crop I had ever grown. The worst damaged plants were all at the ends of the trenches, and that was because I had not blanked off the ends with paper. The paper does rot away . Maybe more than 10 sheets should be used. I do have some remnants of window netting and I shall be experimenting with that, but there may be problems when I lift the crop.

Food for thought?  (pun intended)

BabbyAnn

Re: Potatoes: This is worth trying
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2016, 08:17 »
interesting idea - some traditional methods used to include lining of trenches, but I understood this to act like a water wick/absorbent for the plants to tap into during dry periods.  Of the 3 varieties, Charlottes and Desiree are (on my plot anyway) least likely to be attacked by slugs, and Kestrel as a second early might just escape some damage - however, I do like to leave the potatoes in the ground to maturity and natural die-back (blight willing), so risk of slug damage can increase. 

Ivor Backache

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2016, 11:03 »
Yes. In the past I would put a folded newspaper in the bottom of the trench to retain water but lately we don't get the warm summers, so I have discontinued it. Still put paper in the bottom of my bean trench though.
You are right about the varieties and it is because of slug damage that I grow them. 3 years ago I grew  3 rows of Maris Piper and two thirds were slug eaten.
I am growing King Edward this year, in this way,  to see if I can avoid slugs.
I am hoping that some people will try this (even 1 row) just to see what comments they have later.

oakridge

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2016, 17:27 »
That is an interesting idea.  The family saves newspapers for me which I usually use to suppress weeds between the the rows of vegetables, but I will try this.  It is cheaper than nematodes.

Headgardener22

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2016, 17:35 »
Are the varieties the ones that you usually grow? The RHS suggest Charlotte and Kestrel for their slug resistance. I usually grow Kestrel to reduce slug damage, the problem with them (I find) is that they tend to boil into the water when cooking.

However, its a good idea and I'm certainly going to give it a try (when the allotment dries up).

Ivor Backache

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2016, 10:52 »
Are the varieties the ones that you usually grow?

Yes they are. I have also decided to try Maris Piper again, After the last debacle that will be the real test.

With regards to boiling into the water, this year we have had the same with Desiree. That is a first and I wonder if it has anything to do with the seed. The Kestrel were OK.

BabbyAnn

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2016, 13:00 »
I usually grow Kestrel to reduce slug damage, the problem with them (I find) is that they tend to boil into the water when cooking.

With regards to boiling into the water, this year we have had the same with Desiree. That is a first and I wonder if it has anything to do with the seed. The Kestrel were OK.

I had a problem with a different variety and the advice I got is that it is likely to be due to uneven watering/not enough during the tuber development, so cells break apart on boiling.

Headgardener22

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2016, 19:31 »
I got told its a feature of kestrel. They're fine for baking, chips, etc., but not so good for boiling.

However, I like them.

8doubles

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2016, 22:13 »
Once the paper got damp the slugs would be through it PDQ.

Dry it is the equivalent of trying to eat 5 dry cream crackers ! ;)

Ivor Backache

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2016, 13:54 »
Once the paper got damp the slugs would be through it PDQ.

I put the paper in the trench when it is wet. The sheets stick together and form a good barrier. (Newspaper only rips in one direction, ie across the page.)

ptarmigan

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2016, 14:58 »
I'll try this. But I usually grow Charlotte and rarely have any slug damage at all.   

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2016, 16:56 »
The newspaper idea is worth considering. Some years we have a lot of slug holes, even in varieties such as Kestrel that are supposed to be resistant.

I think I shall give it a go with half of the trenches to see what difference it makes. The first earlies are usually OK, it is the maincrops and any seconds left in that suffer the most.

Maincrops are Ambo, Amour and Maxine, so we shall see how they get on!
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

heygrow

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2016, 17:50 »
Has anyone had success using nematodes to stop slugs on potato crops? I was thinking of giving it a try this year.

oakridge

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2016, 18:56 »
Yes, I have used Nemasys for the last two years with great success, but I think that no everyone has quite so much confidence in them.

Ivor Backache

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2016, 19:21 »
With regard to nematodes, people say that they intend to use them but there is rarely any follow up. The slug population varies from year to year, especially if we have had a hard winter.  My 10 rows would require two doses at a cost of £25. The last winter was a wet one so I would expect an increase of slugs and consequently an increase in crop damage.

I agree, some people don't grow main crop, and doing this just for Charlotte may not be worth it. I use to treat charlotte as an early, but as I now grow earlies in pots (about 40 ) my charlottes stay in the ground longer and do get some slug damage. Kestrel suffer for the same reason, because I treat them as an early maincrop.

I am planting early potatoes now and preparing trenches. I am using 10 sheets paper for Charlotte, 12 for kestrel and 15 for maincrop. (Desiree/King Edward/ Maris Piper) Wet the paper first, the sheets stick together and are more manageable. 15 sheets of dry paper in a slight breeze will really test your patience. I expect to start planting in April.

xx
Jelly potatoes: are they worth it?

Started by Snoop on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post February 18, 2015, 08:39
by m1ckz
question
Is it really worth it?

Started by Tigerhair on Grow Your Own

36 Replies
Last post February 11, 2011, 20:01
by Tigerhair
xx
When it all seems worth it...

Started by HLS on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 14, 2009, 10:09
by aelf
xx
Is it really worth it!!!

Started by Broadhaven on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 26, 2012, 17:35
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.332 seconds with 38 queries.