Bird Avian Flu Outbreak Information

• 233 Replies

snow white

Re: Bird Flu Press Release Today
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2016, 08:09 »
Mine are in a pen so I can cover it.  But the allotment co-op hens will struggle as they only have a small shed and open runs with no cover.  Not sure what they will do about it. :blush :(

Caralou

• Family Member.
    • Lowcostliving
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2016, 10:04 »
We've put a blog entry up about it. I think those with free rangers or larger runs are going to struggle most. Covering the run is the crucial part, but those with smaller houses and no run will need to get something in place fairly fast to comply - not so easy!

http://www.chickens.allotment-garden.org/poultry-diary/1150/european-avian-flu-outbreak-measures-to-protect-in-uk/

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2016, 10:14 »
Sent the link to my daughter. She has two fairly small runs but not sure how she will be able to cover them to comply, maybe a tarp?

Thanks for the blog link, Cara

« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 10:17 by sunshineband »
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

ghost61

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2016, 10:15 »
Mine are already going bonkers about being kept in.  They are virtually climbing the walls and doing their Max Wall type strut up and down in front of the gate!  What fun, en? :tongue2:

Mum2mj

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2016, 10:32 »
I've got 3 chickens and 4 runner ducks (1 being a drake..) they have a shed and 2 connecting runs the larger is quite big and will be a nightmare to cover especially as we're on a hill and quite exposed 😩 was also thinking (several) tarps, and hope there are no strong winds

Willow_Warren

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2016, 10:59 »
Thanks for the heads up!

Fortunatly most of my run is covered, but looking at the omlet website they don't havea huge amount at the moment, so I've just ordered some tarp from Amazon for this evening delivery!

Talking selfishly it's such a shame by birds won't get to free range when I'm home more over Christmas!

Hannah

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2016, 11:12 »
My big run is walk in with a wooden structure, so we added a roof of clear corrugated plastic.  This was years ago when our then next door neighbour (she who fed dozens of scruffy town pigeons in her garden every day) kicked off during the last bird flu scare  ::)  It wasn't too expensive to do and has lasted very well.

Maybe some posts knocked it, a few cross beams and corrugated plastic would work for some runs   :unsure:   The plastic could be taken off next spring if your run is low, to stop the hens getting too hot.

The eglu has its clear plastic winter cover on, so both lots protected although they won't be very happy about not being able to kick around in the garden.

Caralou

• Family Member.
    • Lowcostliving
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2016, 13:00 »
Just to confirm that all UK Executives have now released the same restrictions. As such the Avian Flu Restrictions are now applicable to any poultry or captive bird keepers within the UK. I have spoken with DEFRA and those who fail to comply will be looking at a hefty fine. As such, those with outdoor flocks will need to implement containment or covering ASAP. These restrictions will be in place until 05th January 2017.

I personally would get tarps for covering and if no run a quick B&Q or local DIY store trip for weld mesh and posts would be cheapest and fast way to contain. It wouldn't surprise me if the restrictions are kept in place beyond 05th January unfortunately.

I can imagine the headaches people are getting from their flock right now! My ex-battery girls in particular would have been hatching escape plans and making sure the entire neighbourhood knew of their displeasure   :)

Sassy

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2016, 15:14 »
I can see this this will be problematical for 100's if not thousands of back yard keepers. It would be good if those with innovative solutions could share them so that those affected may be able to find a solution to suit them.  :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

ghost61

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2016, 16:01 »
I am surprised that many don't have covered runs.  We have always had this to stop the ground being muddy when they are kept in because of bad weather and so to avoid problems with their feet (crusted mud on their talons is a devil to shift especially if you have some unfriendly birds!).  The problem we have had is that the eglu walk in run has holes in its upper mesh that enables sparrows to fly in and out.  We have covered them over with scaffolding debris netting to stop the birds, but still allow light in for the girls.

The advice from DEFRA is to cover the runs due to droppings from migrant birds that may be infected.  You can get very cheap tarps from pound land but they don't last long in our experience.  We use thick clear plastic sheeting tied down with bungee ropes, so that light is there but no rain or bird droppings!

Our small run was extended today for the two newbies that are separate to those in the eglu run (but one is ill and indoors) using some wired panels that we had, cable tied together and then covered with plastic.

Birds are not happy, but at least we have complied with the ruling in case neighbours were to see our hens out and about - can't wait for the vocal protest tomorrow morning.....

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2016, 17:28 »
I think it depends on the height of your run and its suitability to take a roof.  Our big run is a converted pergola, so was easy to roof and once we did it,  we wondered why we hadn't done it before.  Our lot love it and rush back if even the slightest drop of rain falls when they are in the garden.  They don't 'do' weather  ;)

Its not too bad if you only have a small coop and run set-up.  If wooden, they tend to have a wire mesh roof supported by a wooden frame that is fairly easy to cover.  Thinking about it, we roofed Alphie's old wooden coop and run set-up for him and his 2 girls with a couple of sheets of that opaque plastic roofing.  It let diffused light in, but didn't get too hot, both of which are considerations for a low roofed run.

If you have a home built larger run, it could be a lot more difficult to cover, especially if it currently doesn't have a roof.  A tarp would need a fair bit of support to stop water pooling in it and dragging it down, plus a lot of tethering in windy areas.  It might be easier to put something up inside to reduce the run area and then cover it.  It maybe worth trying to get hold of an old pop-up gazebo, tent frame or similar, covering the top, then netting off any gaps between it and the top of the run to stop wild birds getting in.  A sort of run within a run, rather than worry about adapting an existing structure.

For free rangers, especially if they have a decent sized flock, this must all be a major headache.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 17:31 by New shoot »

8doubles

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2016, 18:16 »
So any free range eggs we see in the supermarket will be bogus or from farmers breaking the law !

The new egg boxes are bound to bump the price up.

ghost61

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2016, 19:19 »
Still can sell eggs as free range as the confinement is due to DEFRA requirement.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2016, 19:32 »
But the allotment co-op hens will struggle as they only have a small shed and open runs with no cover.  Not sure what they will do about it. :blush :(

I had a thought about that.  Could they relocate fruit cages for the time being and get the tops covered in plastic?  Some of the plot holders on our site take their fruit cages down for the winter anyway, so there may be some ready dismantled that could be pressed into emergency use.

xx
New Bird Flu Outbreak

Started by grinling on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 08, 2017, 14:07
by Paul Plots
xx
Bird Flu outbreak in SUFFOLK

Started by muntjac on The Hen House

54 Replies
Last post December 02, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
bird flu outbreak in nth suffolk

Started by muntjac on The Hen House

68 Replies
Last post February 09, 2007, 14:04
by muntjac
xx
Avian TB

Started by agapanthus on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post October 16, 2007, 20:50
by richyrich7

Page created in 0.244 seconds with 56 queries.