Walnuts! Can anyone help or advise?

• 5 Replies

isobel

Walnuts! Can anyone help or advise?
« on: September 06, 2010, 15:02 »
We moved earlier this year to a house which is graced with a 200 year old walnut tree that is laden with nuts - I have no idea what to do with them other than shout rude things at the squirrels! I have looked online and there is info about "simply peeling off the outer skin" but trust me, you'd be making it a full time job if you tried to peel the ones I am getting as windfalls at the moment! There has to be a better way so if anyone knows any tricks for getting the husk off I'd be very much obliged! Maybe I am picking them up too early at the moment? Thank you!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Walnuts! Can anyone help or advise?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 16:45 »
hello Isobel and welcome, I have moved your post over to this section then hopefully somebody will see it and be able to help you  :).
I wasn't sure whether to put it on here or the cooking section  ::)  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

Kelloggs

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 17:01 »
 I love pickled walnuts, trouble is I have a tendancy to eat the whole jar ::)mind you I've always had a craving for walnuts full stop ;)
but guess its a little late for pickerling as you have to do it before the nuts formed............I think.

Wish I had a walnut tree :D

8doubles

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2010, 17:13 »
I think the husk has to rot a bit before it comes off the shell cleanly. Hope you like mahogany brown hands. :)
The rooks will probably take a lot soon.

isobel

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2010, 14:44 »
Many thanks, and yes I too love pickled walnuts and did manage to shake a few out early in the season to pickle - five fat jars - but now I would like to have a personal stash for Christmas! I will try leaving them a few weeks for the outer husk to dry out. I did try a trayful in my dehydrater to see if drying them out was the answer, but all I got was very oily warmed up husky walnuts!!

If anyone else has a better idea though I would love to know. I was very irritated by the Youtube footage of a bloke driving round his walnut grange in a machine that picked the nuts from the ground, sucked them up and spat out perfectly clean walnuts ready for the shelf! I want one of those!!

orchardlady

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2010, 22:14 »
Lay the walnuts in their green outer skins on newspaper until the skins turn black. Invest in some thin rubber gloves. Remove the husks and shells. If you have an Aga or Rayburn spread out on a large baking sheet and put in the hot oven. Watch them carefully as they will burn very easily, turn them every now and then. Remove from the oven cool and either keep in an air tight jar to be used in your Christmas cake or pack into clean jars and pour honey over them. Wonderful with yoghurt.
If you do not have an Aga or Rayburn toss them in a large frying pan (dry) until golden brown and crisp.
Lucky lucky you!

xx
Walnuts

Started by chickpea13 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 17, 2008, 19:37
by Big Jen
xx
Walnuts - when to pick ????

Started by poultrygeist on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post September 01, 2008, 23:19
by Annie
xx
can someone please advise me?

Started by krystal on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 29, 2011, 17:48
by Yorkie
xx
what to sow now..please advise

Started by babyblue on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 27, 2010, 13:09
by viettaclark

Page created in 0.358 seconds with 38 queries.