perpetual wallflower

• 4 Replies

viettaclark

perpetual wallflower
« on: May 01, 2010, 22:38 »
I bought 2 lovely lilac wallflowers last year at a market (£1.50) ) and they bushed wonderfully, giving me a mass of flowers all Spring/Summer AND Autumn. I lost one in the Winter  :((along with alot of damage to hebes) and couldn't find another anywhere so snipped off 4 woody side-shoots and bunged them in compost, not thinking they'd take.
Blow me! They've all taken! They were out in all the cold weather too, along with carnation cuttings, which have also taken. Some tree mallow prunings I stuck into a pot of spent tomato compost over-wintered outside but are now covered in leaves!
 I've rearranged the foxglove, echinacea, forget-me-not. hollyhock, marguerite, and love-in-a-mist seedlings that have come up and split the penstemon, bergenia and Japanese anemones.
Since getting chickens and bunging poo picked off the lawn onto the borders my scraggy roses, honeysuckles and hardy geraniums have burgeoned and I've never seen so much blossom in the garden! (although perhaps that's due to a harsh Winter)
I won't need to buy plants this year at all! It's so......heart warming.....
Sorry...got carried away with my success 8)....
Anyway, what I need to know is when should I plant out the wallflowers? They're in 2" modules and have produced just one new rosette of leaves. Should I pot on? When can they go to join their mum?

Hey Jude

• Experienced Member
Re: perpetual wallflower
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 22:59 »
Vietta, the chicken poo sounds like it's doing a great job - and obviously you too! Am ashamed to admit for the last 2 years I've not added any muck or compost to the garden beds, but over the winter the whole garden was redesigned and loads of manure and soil improver was dug before replanting - what a difference it's made! I've now got heaps of stuff growing better than before - note to self 'put the goodness back' (like I do at the allotment!) Jude.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 08:54 »
I'd pot them on, but only so they are big enough to withstand some munching, when finally planted in the border.
Your garden sounds lovely :)

for some reason my apricot coloured foxgloves have not reappeared....I just hope that some of the million seedlings will be new ones..fingers crossed :)

viettaclark

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, 23:30 »
Thanks folks!
I'll pot on to 3" pots and feed a bit to build them up.
I got some ace advice last year on here about echinacea seedlings and was advised to let the plants stay in their pots over winter rather than plant out late and risk slugs etc.
This year they all came up healthy and they'd multiplied in clumps. I've just planted them out with lots of muck and slug pellets and they're zipping away. Not bad....12 mature clumps for £1.99 and a bit of patience and care...

Thanks again for the advice! :D

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 19:20 »
Wow Vietta that sounds brilliant  :D :D

It's great getting plants for free like that   :) :)
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

xx
wallflower

Started by rowlandwells on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post April 29, 2019, 08:32
by rowlandwells
xx
Wallflower question

Started by Thrift on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post August 15, 2010, 15:06
by Paul Plots
smiley
Wallflower grown from seed

Started by pottylotty1 on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post September 20, 2018, 20:53
by yorky
xx
looking for bowles mauve(wallflower)

Started by KingEdward on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post May 07, 2008, 22:04
by Alex 98

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 39 queries.