Merry Tiller

• 11 Replies

glenforkie

Merry Tiller
« on: October 09, 2013, 21:04 »
 Hi all, I have a wolseley merry tiller Type-D, Serial No- MT 26636. It has a Briggs and Stratton engine with the following details. Model No- 81302, Type No- 943756, Serial No- 6103240. I can get it started with no choke but if I try to operate the choke it stops. If I try to cold start it with the choke it wont start. Obviously I think carb needs setting up properly. I am looking for "idiot proof" instruction on how to set carb properly. Also any details on plug gap and points gap. I know this is a circa 1960 rotavator so I assume engine be same age. I was going to strip carb and clean but cannot find gasket sets anywhere for it so I would be very also be very greatful for info on sourcing parts for this engine. The rotovator I am writing about is the one on the left in the photo.
                Many thanks in advance.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

adal

• Man Of the World
Re: Merry Tiller
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 21:48 »
Hi all, I have a wolseley merry tiller Type-D, Serial No- MT 26636. It has a Briggs and Stratton engine with the following details. Model No- 81302, Type No- 943756, Serial No- 6103240. I can get it started with no choke but if I try to operate the choke it stops. If I try to cold start it with the choke it wont start. Obviously I think carb needs setting up properly. I am looking for "idiot proof" instruction on how to set carb properly. Also any details on plug gap and points gap. I know this is a circa 1960 rotavator so I assume engine be same age. I was going to strip carb and clean but cannot find gasket sets anywhere for it so I would be very also be very greatful for info on sourcing parts for this engine. The rotovator I am writing about is the one on the left in the photo.
                Many thanks in advance.

i have a Service Manual for Out of Production Engines
1919 - 1981
Breaker Point & Magnavac Ignition Systems

if you like i can send you the front cover to see if it is the right one

it looks like it was made 24-03-61
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 21:56 by adal »

R Tallentire

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2013, 10:36 »
It may be that your problem is adjustment of the mixture, this does not involve stripping the carb and an easy way to check the mixture is to stop the machine immediately after use (don’t let it tick over for even a short time) let it cool and remove the plug, if it is black and sooty, the machine is running rich, if the centre is light brown the mixture is OK. The procedure is to get the engine warm and running at quite high revs then screw the needle in, (the thumbscrew under the carb at an angle) until the revs start to drop, then out till the revs drop, then back to halfway between. Check the engine doesn't falter when you open the throttle and if it does, slightly open the mixture screw. The idler jet needle has a screwdriver slot near the top of the carb and the same procedure should be performed with the machine on tickover to re-set this.

The float needle nearly always leaks on these carbs so not needing choke isn't always an indication of a rich mixture when in use.
R Tallentire

glenforkie

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2013, 16:42 »
Adal, that would be great cheers. Can you post it on here? 

glenforkie

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2013, 16:44 »
R. Rallentire, thanks very much for that info. Will try that when I get back to it and let you know what I end up with.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 16:45 by glenforkie »

adal

• Man Of the World
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2013, 17:47 »
Adal, that would be great cheers. Can you post it on here?

i think it will be to big to put on the site if you like i can put it on a cd and post it to you just send me a pm

glenforkie

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2013, 18:17 »
Hi Adal, you'll have to excuse me on the pm. I assume that pm means personal message. If it does, I cant find where to pm you from. Please advise me on this one.  Cheers

R Tallentire

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2013, 20:19 »
The flo-jet carb is one of the most difficult carbs to rebuild. If you do need to strip it the instructions in the B & S manual don’t always work. Due to a design fault that they wouldn’t admit to, the main jet is almost impossible to remove if water has been in the carb during it’s lifetime.

Because the main jet is the lowest point of the flo-jet carburettor, dirt and corrosion tends to spoil the exposed female thread and stop the jet screw from being screwed in. It also stops the main jet from being removed, necessary before the float chamber can be split for cleaning etc. A special tap (Part No.19245) is available from B & S for this non-standard thread. Without the special tap, if the jet is wound out as far as possible the float chamber can usually be split but be careful not to damage the jet in the process.
Flo-jet carb.png

glenforkie

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2013, 21:11 »
R.Tallentire, many thanks for that, hopefully I can get it going properly with the information you gave me in a previous post. But I'll certainy bear this new info in mind incase not.

adal

• Man Of the World
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2013, 13:43 »
hello Glenforkie

To send me a pm personal message.  Look at the left hand side Colum on my profile under Man of the world you will see a photo and to the right a scroll click on it

jezza

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2013, 23:28 »
hi its a merry tiller cadet the smallest in the range ,as mentioned the carburettor is akward to set up last time i got one parted i re assembled with a drop of olive oil on the main jet it came apart easier next time  other one looks like its had the ultimate sacralage a honda engine on a merry tiller  no no they where built for briggs and stratton  jezza

Swed

• Nice cup (pint) of Tea
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2014, 15:57 »
http://www.briggsparts.se/
Can help you - no problem.
Albert

xx
merry tiller and mantis tiller - compare/contrast?

Started by mushroom on Equipment Shed

7 Replies
Last post July 17, 2007, 05:17
by Gwiz
xx
Merry Tiller Help

Started by peterryall on Equipment Shed

16 Replies
Last post October 18, 2006, 05:46
by Gwiz
xx
Merry Tiller

Started by D Wilson on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post October 17, 2007, 18:50
by D Wilson
xx
merry tiller need help

Started by madmak on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post March 27, 2010, 19:17
by jarigo

Page created in 0.144 seconds with 39 queries.