Lovely, Lovely Manure - Now what!?

• 5 Replies

Arls0308

« on: July 30, 2008, 09:35 »
Hi,

I had some just beautiful well rotted monure delivered to my lotti last night ( I shan't bore  you like I did with my OH with how crumbly and black it was!) but now wondering what to do with it. It was delivered in thick paper potato sacks, so i was wondering if it would be good to spilt the sack and put them over the half of my lotti which is full of weeds and put the manure on top and then wait for the paper to rot and then dig it into the soil - if I do this would the rain (if we actually get any) wash it away? - It will need taking out of the sacks soon (that's what the guy told me) so just wondering what people would do with it? Currently half my lotti has things growing in it and the other half is either covered with carpet (which I'll remove if the paper sacks are better) and the back part just weeds.

Any advice is very much appreciated.

Cheers,
Arlene
Arls (Allotmenteer since March 08!)

"Earth is here so kind, that just tickle her with a hoe and she laughs with a harvest." Douglas William Jerrold

God made rainy days so gardeners could get the housework done

Pompey Spud

« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 10:37 »
Personally, I'd read the posts about pesticide(aminophyralid) in manure & than ask yourself again.

I'm not going to touch manure for at least 3/4 years. Look at other alternatives + get rid of the carpets. They're not good either. Chemical treatments leech into the soil.

Use Green Manures like Field Beans or, Rye.

PUP!
Top tip for camping....don't go.

compostqueen

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 10:48 »
You can can make it into a pile and cover it with a piece of plastic etc and leave it til you need it, eg when you have an area cleared.  You can top dress beds with it over and let worms take it in or you can lightly fork it in, or if you have a big area you can mix it in with a rotovator

I put manure in my black plastic compost bins to rot down a bit but you could use it fresh if you plan to leave it open to the elements over winter. I wouldn't put it on weedy soil though. Weed it first or you'll just be making more work for yourself

Arls0308

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 13:34 »
Thanks for your advice Compost Queen & Pompy,

The manure is very really well rotted so I don't think it'll need rotting down anymore. I was wondering if I put the paper down as a weed suppressant and then the manure on top and then eventually dig it in when the paper's rotted and hopefully the weeds underneath the manure/paper will have died. Or would this be a waste of manure?

Cheers,
Arls

crowndale

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2008, 20:27 »
personally i'd probably remove the weeds first.  manure often contains a lot of weed seed as it is and it is a fantastic growing medium for all things but particualry for weeds!  you'll likely end up with far more weeds than you started with just covering them up.
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Arls0308

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2008, 09:33 »
Hi,

Thanks for your advice. Weather permitting I'm going this weekend to sort it, I'll take it out of the bags and cover it till later in the year.

Cheers,

Arls

xx
Lovely Lovely Rain

Started by Axe Victim on Grow Your Own

44 Replies
Last post May 13, 2007, 21:16
by CHRIS THE VEG
xx
My lovely tea!

Started by PhilRW on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 13, 2008, 19:00
by DD.
xx
Oh what a lovely day!

Started by Jen on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 31, 2008, 22:13
by littlelisa
xx
lovely runners

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post July 18, 2012, 19:50
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.34 seconds with 35 queries.