Something digging in tubs

• 6 Replies

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Something digging in tubs
« on: December 06, 2017, 15:38 »
and what ever it is, is eating the spring bulbs - mostly the tulips  :mad:

Any ideas what it would be? Do you think I should cover all the bulbs with fine wire mesh 'til they start growing?
Or any other ideas to stop the little bs..

jaydig

Re: Something digging in tubs
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 17:21 »
It might be a squirrel.  Many years ago a friend of mine had this problem, unfortunately the squirrel also managed to get into her loft and caused no end of damage by eating through electrical cables.

snowdrops

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 18:17 »
Yep squirrels can be a real pain with bulbs,not something I’ve experienced but a lady I used to go to had to cover with mesh or upturned metal hanging baskets
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 18:34 »
There are squirrels in the gardens here, they've never done it before though. I'll just have to cover the tubs then  :nowink:

Though I've put in about 100 new bulbs this year, so there's no way I can cover all the borders.  ::)

Paul Plots

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2017, 14:34 »
Could be a cat but, as others have said, sounds very much like a hungry squirrel.

Netting is some help, layer of gravel / shingle or try a mulch of shredded wood-chippings. I think they locate bulbs by smell so perhaps a shake of the cheapest pepper over the top?

Most of all keep an eye on the squirrels. My neighbour fed the local squirrels (intended the food for birds) and they, in return, made a drey in his loft - produced young and caused havoc. 
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2017, 13:36 »
They might also be looking for conkers, which they planted earlier in the season for subsequent sustenance.  I get small holes in the lawn from that.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Paul Plots

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2017, 03:50 »
They might also be looking for conkers, which they planted earlier in the season for subsequent sustenance.  I get small holes in the lawn from that.

I'd forgotten all about holes in the lawn as we haven't had any for a year or two since my son and his wife moved into the bungalow over the road (squirrel paradise.... it was). They brought their cats and one was a rescue moggy - fit and very fast - once lived mostly out side. She belts up trees and along fences like a rocket so the squirrels have left the lawn alone and the fruit trees and bushes. Before then the lawn looked like the moon - full of craters where the squiggles buried all sorts of edible things including the odd tiny apple and replanted crocus bulb. They were quite entertaining... although pretty destructive too.

xx
tubs & pots

Started by rowlandwells on Chatting on the Plot

1 Replies
Last post January 20, 2021, 11:34
by mumofstig
xx
Are you digging up yet?

Started by Goosegirl on Chatting on the Plot

4 Replies
Last post August 26, 2021, 18:07
by Growster...
xx
What do you dream about digging up...

Started by Growster... on Chatting on the Plot

2 Replies
Last post May 15, 2019, 16:21
by DanielCoffey

Page created in 0.169 seconds with 36 queries.