Freezer re-arrangement...

• 16 Replies

Growster...

Freezer re-arrangement...
« on: November 26, 2017, 12:26 »
I've just spent the whole morning rearranging the two under-the-counter freezers...

Seven drawers, ten frozen fingers, and hey-ho, enough stuff to last well into Decemberval!

I don't think I've ever seen so much chicken in one place, all in different forms, like wings, fillets, curry, spicy slices, Coronation, lumps, small pieces and soup!

There's anough fish for pies to last until January, and enough lamb for at least four shepherd's pies, and also beef for the same cottagers!

And about a hundredweight of toms, peas from 2015 and squash too...

Beefsteak toad is a fave here, and I found enough for four more, so that takes care of the winter cabbage on The Patch too.

(I've posted this as a separte item, as Christine says that I'm not allowed to count freezer stuff as a winter crop, which I reckon is jolly well unfair - (but I do like her, so that's alright)! ;0)
« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 12:27 by Growster... »

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Freezer re-arrangement...
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2017, 12:51 »
You have been busy Mr G!
There isn't much in mine now - apart from HG beans, green and shelled, plus loads of passata and a few icecream tubs of fruit.
I've been deliberately working my way through the rest to leave room for the big Winterval delivery. I've been making a shopping list for the freezer, the storecupboard and all the usual baking ingredients; It's as long as my arm and not finished yet  :ohmy:

Still that delivery, plus the inevitable leftovers usually last all through January, sometimes well into Feb ::) so not as bad as it seems. Thank goodness  :lol:

Goosegirl

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2017, 13:47 »
Mr. Gander's has had a sort of sort-out of our two, meaning when he can't fit in what he's just bought he takes something out. For the next three days we'll be eating up a very big lasagne then probably have another dip into the unknown. Although it's lovely, it doesn't help when we've been given a brace of partridge, a grouse, and a goose to fit in as well!
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Goosegirl

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2017, 14:26 »
p.s.
Goosey says "Freezer jolly good fellow"!!!  :tongue2: :lol:

snowdrops

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2017, 15:33 »
I had to have a sort out of our freezer in the garage on Friday to fit in the 1/2 lamb I’d just fetched back from the farm, need to make another list as the pen for the wipe on/off board has given up the ghost plus it doesn’t seem to be the best way as I forget to wipe off when taking stuff out.
What do you all do or do you rely on memory or is that why you have freezer surprise some nights for tea? Lol
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2017, 16:46 »
I have a pad in the kitchen for shopping lists, so the back page is devoted to freezer stuff.  Its just in date order as things are put in, so acts as a useful reminder to what needs using first.  You still have to remember to cross stuff out, so we do end up with freezer surprise now and then.

I only list the main meal items, but my freezer is separated into a drawer of meat/main meals, plus one of bits useful to make meals like dhal, hm pasta dough, pastry and cheese (I buy big packs, section them up and freeze them).

There is a fruit drawer, then a couple devoted to plot stuff which are currently stuffed with tomato sauce, beans of various sorts, roasted squash, chillies and so on.

If I keep things separated like this, it seems to work  :)

Christine

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2017, 17:48 »
(I've posted this as a separte item, as Christine says that I'm not allowed to count freezer stuff as a winter crop, which I reckon is jolly well unfair - (but I do like her, so that's alright)! ;0)
It was not Christine said you couldn't count frozen stuff on that other thread - rowlandjones said so when he started off the conversation.  :tongue2:

I was just doing as I was told for a change.  ;)

wighty

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2017, 19:19 »
We went to Lymington Market for our annual visit and have had to switch on our third freezer up in the garage.  Paul's not been well today so I have spent the day soup making as well as sorting out our purchases from yesterday. We had planned on a 'cook day' but I couldn't be bothered on my own.

Growster...

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2017, 20:15 »
It was not Christine said you couldn't count frozen stuff on that other thread - rowlandjones said so when he started off the conversation.  :tongue2:

I was just doing as I was told for a change.  ;)

You are absolutely right Christine, and having read the original post, I bow my head in shame..:0(

But if Birds Eye can sell peas that have been frozen after just two hours, then surely a tom from the GH counts; er - doesn't it?

C'mon, we're chums in't we..;0)

:0)

Growster...

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2017, 20:19 »
Freezers just take over from now until next year!

I salvaged a handful of old peas, several dried up prawns, some other indescribable stuff and some broad beans from 2015!

There were some chillis from 2013/14 and 12 burgers, as we saw a deal last year, and Mrs Growster doesn't even like them...

Sigh...

Christine

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2017, 18:45 »
Don't worry Growster - it was worth a try to see if you could sneak the freezer past Mr Rowland Jones.  ;) He just wasn't playing.

As the club root wrecked my winter plans for fresh stuff I'm happy to raid the freezer for frozen from now till whenever winter lets the growing season start again.

snowdrops

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2017, 19:19 »
Freezers just take over from now until next year!

I salvaged a handful of old peas, several dried up prawns, some other indescribable stuff and some broad beans from 2015!

There were some chillis from 2013/14 and 12 burgers, as we saw a deal last year, and Mrs Growster doesn't even like them...

Sigh...

I’d use those burgers up in a stew or a pie filling or even a bolognaise, mind you those chilli’s could go in to a beef chilli 😊 but I bet Mrs G is ahead of me

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2017, 22:56 »
p.s.
Goosey says "Freezer jolly good fellow"!!!  :tongue2: :lol:

:lol: :lol:
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

madcat

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2017, 10:50 »
We have one freezer stuffed to the gunnels with fruit and veg, one with meat and cooked stuff and a little one with 'others'.  The plot just has brassicas and parsnips left .. (after the allium fly demolished the leeks ...  which are now in the freezer!).  No excuse not to eat our veggies.

But I'd need some real courage to do a defrost and sort out  ...  hats off to Growster for tacking the job!!
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2017, 11:38 »
We have one freezer stuffed to the gunnels with fruit and veg, one with meat and cooked stuff and a little one with 'others'.  The plot just has brassicas and parsnips left .. (after the allium fly demolished the leeks ...  which are now in the freezer!).  No excuse not to eat our veggies.

But I'd need some real courage to do a defrost and sort out  ...  hats off to Growster for tacking the job!!
I intend to sort mine tomorrow. Let’s hope I wake up with enough courage for 2 under the counter freezers  and 1 tall in the shed freezer. Brrr❄️❄️

xx
So how full is your freezer...

Started by Growster... on Chatting on the Plot

16 Replies
Last post November 19, 2023, 17:44
by rowlandwells
xx
cleaning out the freezer

Started by rowlandwells on Chatting on the Plot

2 Replies
Last post January 03, 2023, 20:35
by John
xx
Freezer inventories.

Started by Goosegirl on Chatting on the Plot

17 Replies
Last post November 03, 2023, 22:06
by Subversive_plot
xx
The shop in the shed/freezer/stashed in jars...

Started by New shoot on Chatting on the Plot

11 Replies
Last post November 29, 2017, 22:00
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 37 queries.