Just "built" a terraced garden...what to grow.

• 28 Replies

cc

• Experienced Member
Just "built" a terraced garden...what to grow.
« on: July 22, 2017, 19:05 »
Just built (with lot of help) a terraced garden. Bought land about 5 years ago but suffered a debilitating illness.... bone idleness. Very steep but steps to the top. Next need to build shed and greenhouse at the top. Want to put in lots of asparagus. Thinking of spreading over 3 terraces. They face east but full sun at midday.. Front 2 feet of terraces still have sun on them at 6pm. Terraces are made of concrete fence posts with gravel boards. I assume the greyish colour will reflect some heat and store heat for night time? Where should .my asparagus go, front or back. Soil clay with lots stone including flint. Some have decent bit of top soil. Will put in lots of compost. . Want them in a line (asparagus) using 3 different kinds?? (spread over season) using 3 terraces. Terraces being used are 15 foot by 6 foot. Ideas appreciated not just asparagus related. Thanks JB
20170719_124835.jpg

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Just "built" a terraced garden...what to grow.
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2017, 07:51 »
Asparagus is tall but the fronds are feathery, so it doesn't block all the light.  You may well be best putting that in a single terrace, maybe the bottom one and have herbs tumbling over the edge.

What are you thinking of growing.  Do you want permanent crops, things that grow without too much fuss or a full on veg plot?  If the top terrace is for a shed and greenhouse, you could have all sorts on the middle levels  :)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 07:52 by New shoot »

cc

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2017, 09:59 »
Full on veg garden. I have the space! I can see tomatoes against the walls as I assume the concrete will store heat releasing it at night. I was going to do crop rotation I thought best to spread the asparagus over 3 terraces to facilitate it. Top terrace would have very strong winds no matter which direction the wind was coming in.
I was thinking that a fourth small terrace, the one above the rock terrace (has a pickaxe on it) would be suitable for herbs. Not the best place sun wise. It does get full midday sun though. Rosemary sage chives and thyme growing in front garden can be moved to there?
Any ideas on asparagus I want the longest season possible. Thinking 3 types 10 of each then grow another 10 of each from seed?
Presently growing about 30 tomatoes plants as I dehydrate them put them in olive oil with garlic and Rosemary and leave them for a year. I have a lot of demand for them. So more tomatoes is a definite.
Thanks for your help.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2017, 11:02 »
Are you also going to include other permanent crops such as rhubarb or soft fruit? I like your thinking with the asparagus, but my preference would be to keep them all together as they prefer sandier soil. Not on the top terrace if it is windy though, as the fronds would blow over. We had to tie ours up on the plot due to the wind and it was a bit of a nuisance. A sheltered spot is much better.

It might be worth you reading up a bit on crop rotation as then you could use the other three terraces to make this easy. There are articles hiding behind that green bar at the very top of the page which could be useful.

Also, are you planning space for compost bins?
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

compostqueen

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2017, 11:51 »
I would have the asparagus where it's easily got at for maintenance and top dressing with muck purposes. Don't wanna be lugging heavy stuff any further than needs be 

cc

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2017, 18:54 »
Are you also going to include other permanent crops such as rhubarb or soft fruit? I like your thinking with the asparagus, but my preference would be to keep them all together as they prefer sandier soil. Not on the top terrace if it is windy though, as the fronds would blow over. We had to tie ours up on the plot due to the wind and it was a bit of a nuisance. A sheltered spot is much better.

It might be worth you reading up a bit on crop rotation as then you could use the other three terraces to make this easy. There are articles hiding behind that green bar at the very top of the page which could be useful.

Also, are you planning space for compost bins?
I have 4 compost bins in front garden (a bit weedy) will move at least one probably two to rear.  I can add more gravel boards (more likely wood slotted above gravel boards) to protect asparagus from wind. Have one rhubarb plant in front garden more than enough. Some fruit a possibility as in gooseberry, blackberry  and redcurrant.
Soil not sandy, clay with lots of chalk and flint. Will start Rotavating to bring stones to surface this week. Have the remains of a ton bag with sand in it. Probably able to get well rotted manure. Will be buying lots of compost from small garden centre nearby. 1800 litres in bags (easier to carry up steps) £125.

cc

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2017, 19:08 »
Not great soil. One of the post hole.
20170704_134508.jpg
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 19:53 by cc »

cc

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2017, 19:28 »
Neighbor has a horse at top of garden. Asked for bags so she can collect horse poo and drop bags over fence into my garden. Should/could I put it in compost bins till next year. IE rots down

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2017, 08:13 »
Neighbor has a horse at top of garden. Asked for bags so she can collect horse poo and drop bags over fence into my garden. Should/could I put it in compost bins till next year. IE rots down

Yes that would be ideal.  A drop in delivery service - lucky you  :)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2017, 08:42 »
Personalised manure delivery... how good it that!

Asparagus liked slightly alkaline (limy) soil that is well drained, and yours might need a bit of preparation for its arrival, looking at your photo. Some well rotted manure added when you plant the crowns, a few inches below where they will sit, would help them too

Our soil was raw clay with stones, over a hard gravel pan when we arrived on our first plot, and now, six and a half years later, it is delightful to work with. We took over the adjoining plot last year, with unimproved soil still as it had not been used since being pasture, and it made us realise how effective large quantities of organic matter...mainly home made compost in our case... can be. We can even grow carrots on our first plot now, so you can tame yours I'm sure

cc

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2017, 11:19 »
Right had a decent go at getting the stones out, mainly small ones left. Still plenty their in the clay but about 4 inches down. Now I have been offered 1800 litres of compost for £125 in bags as opposed to 2 one ton bags. Best deal in one ton bags was £85 for 900 litres or £64 for topsoil in one ton bags (can't find out volume). So going for bagged as it will be easier to carry up (lower water content). Question, would 1800 liters add 4inches of topsoil to 15 foot by 6 foot terrace? I would be prepared to do it on 3 terraces. I have £8,000 on zero interest credit card which I don't have to pay back for 28 months.
I just remembered how to down laid photos. These are 3 terraces. Top soil not terrible just think I need more.

20170727_165228.jpg
20170727_165219.jpg
20170727_165209.jpg
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 11:34 by cc »

snowdrops

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2017, 13:01 »
I would go for topsoil, compost is for pots in my opinion although I add old compost to my garden beds
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

cc

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2017, 15:15 »
I would go for topsoil, compost is for pots in my opinion although I add old compost to my garden beds
I agree but I have severe arthritis in one knee and loading the topsoil into trugs and carrying it up would take a week(a guess) while the lighter bagged would be quicker and easier. I was thinking of carrying up say 20+ a day spread over the day. I have to walk a dog for at least 2 hours a day.

Pescador

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2017, 20:23 »
Hi CC, I've been looking at the volumetrics of your project.
15 x 6ft = 8.3sq.m. and you want 10cm depth of compost/top soil. This means you need about 830 litres for each terrace.
Hope this helps. (Hope sums are correct as it's only my 2nd post!)
Every Pickle Helps!

Paul's Preserves and Pickles.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2017, 09:31 »
I too would go for the soil as bagged compost does deteriorate very quickly. Looks a good deal with the bagged one too

xx
Want a Garden or land to grow fruit and veg, try "Landshare"

Started by gorymorph on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post July 06, 2009, 19:16
by Yorkie
xx
Are you a seed "chitting" or "no-chit" sort of person?

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

45 Replies
Last post July 09, 2013, 12:00
by crh75
xx
"Garden" compost - how good are you at making it?

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

35 Replies
Last post December 01, 2013, 20:41
by snowdrops
xx
Tomato watering in "grow pot" growbag question

Started by jsgreen89 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 02, 2011, 12:41
by Nikkithefoot

Page created in 0.317 seconds with 35 queries.