Lovely green chilli plants with not a single flower!

• 9 Replies

magiliz

• Rational Planet
I've grown some chilli plants from some seed that I saved from last year.  They've grown wonderful lush healthy leaves but there is not a single flower on any of them.  I can't even see any buds.  They are growing in ordinary potting compost in pots indoors but right by the patio doors where they get maximum sunlight, although the doors do face north.  I've never fed them with anything.  Some are still only in small pots.  I've started putting them outside for a few hours every day so that they can get more light.  Anything else I can do to get them to flower?

fatbelly

Re: Lovely green chilli plants with not a single flower!
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2017, 12:26 »
My Chilli plant is exactly the same, loads of lush green growth but no flowers at all.
99% Organic and 1% Slug Pellets.

Allotment holder since 27th May 2007.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2017, 12:30 »
Given that they fruited last year, the obvious question has to be 'Is there anything you are doing differently this year?' Were they in a sunnier/warmer spot last year?

I would have suggested cutting back on the feeding, but you haven't fed them - maybe they just aren't quite ready to flower - you could try stressing them a bit more by letting them almost dry out between waterings.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

jambop

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2017, 18:23 »
Don't panic let them grow and do their thing. I have D'arbol chillies growing right now they are not showing flowers yet ... but they will and I will get a great crop of nice chillies in the autumn... not everything delivers its crop this early it is only the beginning of July. And you have to remember most chillies are perennial if given the right conditions the will grow for a few years... you are expecting them to do everything in just a couple of months... not going to happen that way patience :)

Gardener and Rabbit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2017, 22:32 »
I had a similar chilli plant last year; very healthy looking, but late to flower, and then the first flowers dropped off without setting fruit. It came good later in the season, and I decided it was just the variety.

ptarmigan

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2017, 10:34 »
My first flower has just appeared on chillis I sowed in March. Lovely healthy looking plants.

magiliz

• Rational Planet
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2017, 11:39 »
Many thanks to all of you for your replies.  Perhaps I am being a little too impatient then.  I can't remember what variety the chillies are because I saved the seed from one tiny dried chilli that I had left from plants which had been going a couple of years, so it could be it's a late flowering variety.  I can't remember what time of the year the parent plant flowered.  I shall look forward hopefully to a bumper crop later in the year.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2017, 11:45 »
1/ What variety are you growing? Was the original an F1 or an original?

I have 12 different varietys this year, the Lemon Aji and the super hots are only now putting on flowers (the super hots were sown in January)

Are you feeding them? maybe the feed is a bit too nitrogen rich, perhaps reduce the watering, this can induce flowers.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Mr Dog

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2017, 12:19 »
1/ What variety are you growing? Was the original an F1 or an original?

I have 12 different varietys this year, the Lemon Aji and the super hots are only now putting on flowers (the super hots were sown in January)

Are you feeding them? maybe the feed is a bit too nitrogen rich, perhaps reduce the watering, this can induce flowers.

I too have always found Lemon Ajis to be very late, usually only ripening late October/early November. This year I have experimented with 3 plants: 1 plant left to get on with it, 1 plant had the growing tip pinched out and 1 plant was 'fimed' (search fiming chillies rather than just fiming). The normal plant started to develop flowers a few weeks ago, the tip out plant has about a dozen developing fruits but the fimed plant has already produced 8 ripe fruits with plenty more developing. From now on I think I'll be fiming all of my taller varieties.

I Love Spuds

• Experienced Member
  • AKA Mike.
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2017, 12:45 »
My chillis are all at different stages depending on the variety; some just green, some flowering and some with chillis on. One thing I have noticed, (although I might be imagining it!) is that the hotter the variety of chilli, the longer it takes to flower and fruit.  Has anyone else noticed this? (EDIT: I guess this is what you were getting at Aidy?)

It could just be your chillis are really hot ones therefore slower?? As has been said it is still quite early in the year for chillis though  :D
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 13:03 by I Love Spuds »
"Every time I learn something new, it pushes old stuff out of my brain" Homer J Simpson

xx
Chilli plants - flower stalk dropping off

Started by johnkelly on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 29, 2007, 21:41
by Sheena
clip
Lovely sort of leafy green Hertshoornweegbree

Started by Toosje on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 01, 2018, 08:52
by Toosje
xx
Chilli plants not flowering or growing chilli's?

Started by bb_odiham on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post September 19, 2008, 12:12
by gobs
xx
Lovely potato plants but no potatos

Started by rsbystry on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post July 14, 2009, 05:38
by DD.

Page created in 0.332 seconds with 35 queries.