Blind Cat Rescue

• 7 Replies

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Blind Cat Rescue
« on: May 18, 2017, 00:40 »
I popped out into the cow shed to get something from the freezer just before it went dark and became aware of a cat miaowing over and over.  It sounded like it was coming from the mezzanine so went up there but although it was louder, no cat to be seen.
So went outside and realised Amber, our blind cat, was on the roof and very distressed. She knew she was up high but not how to get down. I've recently put a pile of pallets by the shed and I think she must have climbed up them. Tried climbing part way up but the pile started to rock so that was out.
Got some steps and finally coaxed her to me - she was in a right state and when I lifted her she grabbed on tight, sinking in her built in climbing crampons (claws) into my arm.
Once she knew she was on the ground I got head rubs and purrs (who says they can't say thanks) - and I went in to get savlon for my wounds.
She's such an adventurous little thing, it's really heartbreaking when she gets into these pickles that the sighted cats wouldn't be bothered by. The other morning she was following Lotty cat along a wall. Lotty jumped over the gap where the gate is but Amber just stopped.
Lotty sat waiting for her but she knows not to jump if she doesn't know what the gap is. After a few minutes Lotty jumped back over the gap and they had a mutual washing session instead.
Before we had Amber I used to think it was cruel to keep a blind cat going but the fact is they cope incredibly well for the most part and her quality of life is as good as any cat we've had.
amber.jpg
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Blind Cat Rescue
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2017, 08:07 »
Poor Amber.  She must have been really scared on that roof.  Thank goodness you went out there. 

Hopefully she will now view stacks of pallets with the same suspicion as gaps in the wall - daft cat - they always have to nosy into things  ::)

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2017, 14:17 »
This morning she followed me up into the polytunnel and then back down to the greenhouse where she made a beeline for the cucumber. She's got a thing about eating cucumber leaves!

Ignoring my "No! Out Out!" as if she was deaf so flicked some water at her which normally makes cats cease and desist.. but no. In the end I poured water over her from the can and she eventually went out obviously in a mood with me.

Currently fast asleep and snoring on the couch behind me.. and the scratches on my arm still sting!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2017, 14:40 »
It doesn't sound as if her fright has altered her attitude at all  :lol:

madcat

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2017, 16:26 »
She knows who her hero is, and is sticking with him!  Even if he is a grumpy old s*d who won't let her have a teeny tiny corner of a favorite leaf ....   :D
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2017, 17:03 »
She knows who her hero is, and is sticking with him!  Even if he is a grumpy old s*d who won't let her have a teeny tiny corner of a favorite leaf ....   :D
I'm sure cucumber leaves can't be good for her. She's just so determined when she gets something into her head.

madcat

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2017, 20:25 »
When Blonde (now sadly gone) had a strop with me, she would march up to a plant in line of sight - could be a Christmas cactus, money plant, cyclamen, dragon tree, didnt matter - and bite the biggest leaf she could reach.   :ohmy:  She didnt want to eat it although she could chew it to a pulp, just to make me notice her.  And annoy me!  That Madam had Attitude ...  Amber would have got on well with her.  ::)

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2017, 23:41 »
Years back Val told one of our cats off who went into the hall, sniffed each of the shoes and selected Val's. Then she peed in them :)

Remind me - why do we have cats?

xx
Our Blind Cat

Started by John on Pets without Feathers

33 Replies
Last post December 01, 2011, 22:24
by spottymint
xx
And I thought Jack was the only one who is blind.....

Started by MJS on Pets without Feathers

3 Replies
Last post June 19, 2012, 08:41
by Raven81
xx
Dog Rescue

Started by jamima on Pets without Feathers

0 Replies
Last post March 26, 2011, 10:44
by jamima
xx
i'm going to see a rescue dog tomorrow

Started by Nicki85 on Pets without Feathers

70 Replies
Last post March 30, 2012, 12:48
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 38 queries.