Dying hens

• 2 Replies

Diddy Gardener

• Experienced Member
Dying hens
« on: April 27, 2017, 14:47 »
Hiya,

My hens are dying! I had four hens and have lost three over the last month. They never really started laying again this year, I just thought they were taking their time getting back into the swing of things.

Each hen has been perfectly fine the day before, scratching about and eating grapes. Then, the next morning, after noticing there's one missing, I've found them in the hut, dead.

No idea what's going on - the first two I put down to age as they were getting on a bit. When the third one died, I took her to the vet and he could find no reason. The hut is cleaned and disinfected regularly, there are no mites (I use powder in their bedding), they have access to clean food and water.

Any ideas? I'm at a complete loss!  :(
Lucky Mother of 2 dogs, 2 cats (RiP Sherlock) and 4 chickens (welcome Brenda and Harriet)

grinling

Re: Dying hens
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2017, 16:34 »
what breed and age were they? Warrens (standard brown one) live to about 3-4 years.

A vet could do an autopsy to rule out other things, can cost around £50.

ghost61

Re: Dying hens
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2017, 18:01 »
Rory to hear what's happening.  Could they have eaten some leave that are poisonous?  Mine try everything and they can sometimes eat ivy which I understand isn't good for them, but they seem quite happy ( despite me trying to yank it all out of their way).  Rat poison?  I'm wary of covered baits as I have seen the bait carried and dropped away from the bait station.  Wee/ faeces?  Caught one of mine tucking into some cat poo - I nearly had a heart attack and so have to check for neighbourhood cats' offerings on a daily basis before letting the girls out.  The hen was fine though! Otherwise I'm at a los to suggest what's causing it.  Wish my vet only charged fifty quid for anything......

xx
hens dying

Started by flea on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post November 01, 2010, 20:01
by bantam novice
xx
Dying Hens

Started by New Hampshire lover on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post March 16, 2009, 12:16
by woodburner
thumbdown
Urgent help hens dying!!!!

Started by Asaunders on The Hen House

37 Replies
Last post September 13, 2009, 10:29
by matilda duck
xx
Hens dying - urgent advice please!

Started by lisacj on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post June 17, 2010, 09:52
by lisacj

Page created in 0.209 seconds with 35 queries.