Cream Legbars

• 7 Replies

Kym503

• Experienced Member
Cream Legbars
« on: April 25, 2010, 11:27 »
I've tracked down some chicks due to hatch at the end of theweek to place under my broody.  She's accepted day olds before so I know that she'll be OK.  Also this time I know we end up with females (rather than the 2 cockerals we had last time...).
Does anyone have thoughts on this breed.  All the sites seem to focus on the fact you can autosex them at hatching but are they what could be considered a large breed.  I've currently got Pied Suffolk and Blue Fennings.

agingchick

• Experienced Member
Re: Cream Legbars
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 12:03 »
Hi I have 2 crested cream legbars I find they are very timid birds they always hang back when I am digging (the other 4 are always as close to the spade as possible) they are slightly smaller than my hybrids but not much

the one on the left is a Dorking
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 17:27 by agingchick »
I use to be indecisive now I'm not so sure

TeaPots

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010, 13:27 »
Hi. cream legbars are large fowl, light feather. they are not heavy, and vary quite a bit in size, though I have never come across a big one. As a breed they are shy, and VERY skittish. They can run very fast and fly really well. They are easily spooked, and benefit from being in a mixed, calm flock, with a steady, controlling cockerel. They are quite hardy but not really for a beginner. The cockerels will benefit from having their comb rubbed with vaseline in cold weather (same as any large combed birds) in the winter, to reduce risk of frost bite.

By giving them their treats by hand, and being around a lot, they gradually become more confident with you, and become beautiful little friends.

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010, 15:31 »
I bought bantam silkie x legbar eggs off eb*y. The photo on the ad showed clearly different male and female chicks and I thought the same as you that I would know from day one what sex they were. Well they are every colour and marking you can think of but not legbar so I'm non the wiser. In fact I'm sure one of them is a baby penguin! I guess I'll have to wait til they start crowing after all.

Kym503

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2010, 21:29 »
Thank you for the replies.  Ihad read they were skittish but I think with my small flock of 5 other hens and the fact that they are all handled everyday theyshould be OK.  I might have to clip their wings though by the sound of it. 

Thank you for your advice.

raeburg

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2010, 22:53 »
Mine are flighty little devils and despite having a wing clipped can still clear 6 ft when the want to.  They are known as the Houdini sisters for their ability to escape

Maccbean

• Experienced Member
    • My Bigger Picture Photo Gifts
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2010, 09:36 »
I've got two in my flock of five, but they're not so bad I've found.  Yes, more skittish than the rest, but I clipped their wings when I got them 20 months ago and haven't bothered since.  They've not tried to escape.  I will say though, that their egg production in the past year has been rubbish.  Only one of them has been laying and they're all thin shelled.  Hoping my current regime will change that tho!:D

Evansent

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2010, 13:08 »
I have a legbar X in with my original girls (6 in all) she is fast and flighty, but happily comes to me for food and doesn't struggle when picked up. I have got some 4 week old crested legbar chicks now  and I think out of the 7, 1 is a boy but I certainly wasn't 100%, so he has been spared for now...and we will see what happens :blink:

Colette
It's not the years that age you, it's the weekends!!!

xx
Cream legbars

Started by walker on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post December 24, 2011, 17:41
by Ben_H
xx
Cream legbars in a large run?

Started by Honey65 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 03, 2016, 08:51
by Sassy
xx
Cream Legbars - General Queries

Started by wildfowler4 on The Hen House

23 Replies
Last post December 15, 2010, 17:49
by CluckyChicken
xx
7/7 hatched 6 cream legbars 1cross aracauna

Started by newhen on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post April 25, 2010, 19:01
by Hayley'sHens

Page created in 0.227 seconds with 38 queries.