Worms or not?

• 13 Replies

Kirk76

Worms or not?
« on: July 16, 2013, 12:28 »
First off fantastic forum, a God send for the grower and chook keeper! I have used the search function and clicked through tons of pages on this section to try and gain a little help with a problem with one off my girls. Sadly I am struggling to find any concrete help, so I am kinda hoping a fellow forum user might help in replying to my problem....
 Just over two weeks ago purchased and arrived home with three POL ISA Brown hen's at 10 weeks old, everything a ok and the girls settled in well. A day or two after I noticed one Hen constantly eating from the feeder and not behaving like the other girls who were happy raking in the grass, eating it and little and often going to the feeder. A couple days later she developed a messy bottom, hunched up a looks really sad, she eats and drinks very little, I have checked her crop that is fine and checking all the poo no sign of worms, any help would be greatly received.

Regards
Colin.   

ghost61

Re: Worms or not?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 13:04 »
10 weeks sounds a little young for POL. Have they been vaccinated, do you know? The layer pellets may be too much too soon, and perhaps they need chick crumb? I have never had hens so young, but many on this forum rear chicks and so I am sure they will come up with a solution for you. Keeping hens is great and they will reward you not only with eggs but also hours of amusement, and even cuddles when you're feeling down!

Kirk76

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 13:28 »
Many thanks for your reply ghost61, I might be a little unsure of their true age, but I was told by the lady I purchased them from that they would be laying around august, I was not told if they were vaccinated and just assumed it would be standard practice (maybe a lesson learnt me thinks), but there is no blood in any droppings.
 The hen's I got are not from her own stock, I was told that chicks come from a hatchery and brings them on.   

ghost61

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 16:49 »
Are you feeding them layers or grower pellets? Unless someone learned on this forum thinks otherwise, I would get them all to a vet and have them vaccinated and checked over generally. Trouble with one have a mucky bum is that the others could gang up on her and then you have real problems. Make sure they can all access greens too. Hope someone with more experience can help you further.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 17:47 »
Welcome to the site Kirk76.   :D

If your chicks are over 6 weeks old they should be fed growers pellets and then they have layers pellets when they start to lay.

The hot weather could be causing the problem or even the move.  I would advise you to separate her from the others so you can monitor how much she is eating and drinking.  You can give her a luke warm bath to clean her vent area as she will be open to fly strike if she has a messy bottom.  Gently towel dry and in this weather she should soon dry off fully (in colder weather dry with a cool setting on a hairdryer). 

You can try tempting her with growers pellets with boiled water making a porridge and allow it to cool enough for her.  If she eats that she will be getting food and water together. 

Chickens also need grit available so they can digest their food, they use it to grind their food in their gizzard. 

If she not eating or drinking at all you will need to contact a poultry friendly vet as soon as possible, chickens can go down hill very quickly.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Kirk76

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2013, 18:43 »
Many thanks for the help guys, gave her a bath and very good examination no mites or ticks, dried off and in seclusion, made up some porridge. she is a lot smaller than her sisters I am just wondering if she has some sort of condition.
 If she makes the night try get vet to take a look at her, if not looks like I will have to do the nasty. shame 

Regards.

ANHBUC

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2013, 18:51 »
Where abouts are you Kirk76?

She may just be the lowest in the pecking order and that is why she gorged herself when the others were busy in the garden.  If she hasn't been fed the right food and put on layers too early that won't help either.   ;)

Kirk76

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2013, 19:15 »
North east Scotland, never witnessed any bullying and was told when collected they would be fine with layers pellets. Plenty of vet's where I live the problem being quite a struggle to a good avian vet.

ANHBUC

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2013, 20:57 »
There is some information on poultry friendly vets, HERE , HERE and a find a vet link HERE

If you can post some photos of your hens we may be able to determine how old they might be.  Best not to feed them on layers until the first one starts to lay, they need the growers until then.   ;)

Sassy

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2013, 08:55 »
It is too late to have them vaccinated now and in my opinion it should not be necessary with only 3 and good housekeeping so I wouldn't worry about this aspect. I always ensure that my hens are NOT vaccinated and you should never mix the 2. If they came from a hatchery they may well be vaccinated.

If you haven't wormed them it may well be worth doing them with Flubenvet. :) However, it may well be what ANBHUC said and she is low in the pecking order - so you could try putting an extra feeding station out. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Kirk76

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2013, 12:34 »
A little update guys, sad news the little girl passed during the night, gutted! I really wanted to get to the bottom of the this problem and not wanting to go to much into gory details, I opened her up to to look at her internal organs. Her keel was slightly deformed and liver looked a great deal smaller than it should be, maybe these factors and the stress and hassle of the move to their home here was sadly to much for the little poppet.
 I suppose you have to just deal with these issues when keeping livestock, though it's not easy. Anyway many thanks for all the help and advice guys.

P.S The other girls are on grower's as from this morning and will upload some photo's asap.

ANHBUC

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2013, 18:03 »
So sorry Kirk, as you say it is part of keeping livestock but never pleasant.

Deformity can be as a result of inbreeding or to do with genetics so you could be right.  It is better that they die at an earlier age but some seem to struggle on regardless.   :(

Sassy

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2013, 09:55 »
You did your very best for her and she could not have asked for more. Sometimes these things just happen  :(

ghost61

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2013, 18:21 »
What can one say? So sorry. Would hate to have the same happen to me. Take care.

xx
Worms in heap -good , worms in hens - bad.

Started by 8doubles on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 30, 2009, 08:37
by ehs284
xx
worms

Started by pammie on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 24, 2011, 22:52
by henamoured
xx
worms

Started by Geo on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 26, 2012, 21:19
by joyfull
question
worms

Started by Ginarina on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post August 11, 2011, 08:31
by Ginarina

Page created in 0.224 seconds with 35 queries.