Confused

• 3 Replies

MKD

Confused
« on: September 25, 2016, 11:17 »
Hi all we have just got 4 hens for eggs and to get the grandkids involved when the visit. But to be honest Im very confused with the conflicting info I'm getting from books and websites. We have 2 goldlines 1 light Sussex and 1 black rock the confusion is coming by some people saying these breeds are friendly and others say they are not so good?? Also to prevent red mite how often do you dust the hens in powder and how often do I sterilise the coop with spray?? Again I'm getting a lot of conflicting info.
And finally we have a faily big garden so I would like to let the hens out for a couple of hours a day what is the best time of day to do this??
Hope someone can give me some answers to my questions many thanks max

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Confused
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2016, 12:27 »
There is a lot of conflicting information out there, so I am not surprised you are confused.

Hens get friendly by being handled, hand fed and generally feeling relaxed around people, but they are all different.  I have a bantam orp that will climb on your knee if she thinks you have something she would like to eat and two others that hate being handled.

Red mite spray for poultry housing is generally only used to kill existing mites, but the powder is a deterrent and can be used in the house around the nooks and crannies all the time.  The birds only need a dust every few weeks, but if you put the powder in their dust bath, they'll do the job for you.

As for free ranging - avoid early mornings or late afternoons as there is a greater risk of foxes being about.  At this time of year, I don't let them out at all unless I am in the garden, as there are young foxes displaced from their parents territory, on the prowl.  A lot of hens lay in the morning as well, so if you let them out too soon they hide eggs round the garden.

There is a lot of additonal info on the main site.  Scroll up to the top of the page and you'll see the Chickens & Poultry bit.  John and Val (the site owners) have kept poultry for years, so its advice based on experience  :)

MKD

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2016, 13:02 »
Hi new shoot thanks for the information it's much appreciated max

Sassy

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2016, 08:46 »
Strongly agree with New Shoot. Red mite only go on chooks to feed, they live in the housing. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

xx
Confused ???

Started by hulgrin on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post March 15, 2010, 12:47
by hulgrin
question
Confused Help!!!!

Started by matilda duck on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post March 02, 2009, 17:22
by matilda duck
xx
confused :-/

Started by caroline800 on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post November 11, 2016, 00:10
by caroline800
xx
oh, now i'm really confused!

Started by ginaclements on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post August 22, 2011, 10:19
by Beano

Page created in 0.259 seconds with 40 queries.