Getting ready for the big dig...

• 8 Replies

Dabhand

« on: February 21, 2008, 22:10 »
I can't wait to get cracking on my garden veggie plot... I had a go last year and got completely flooded out  :cry:

The weather is just about ready for me to start digging again, my problem is that i'ts just so tough to dig, it's really heavy claggy clay and after an hour I'm shattered and haven't got very far.  I have thought of hiring a rotovator but will have to take off the turf first.  Any tips on an easy way to remove turf??  I have been getting lots of compost ready to dig in once it's cleared.   I work full time so don't have much time to spend on preparation.. Any tips would be appreciated..

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008, 22:21 »
Easiest way is to hire one of those turf cutting machines but thats more cost, tho the hire company may do you a deal if you hire both from them. After that its a spade cut it into spade sized turfs and slide the spade under to lift, easier said than done, takes a bit of a shove.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

poultrygeist

Re: Getting ready for the big dig...
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008, 22:27 »
Quote from: "Dabhand"
 Any tips on an easy way to remove turf??  

You need to watch Time Team. They put the spade in and miraculously 10 square metres of turf gets removed by the next shot !

Must be easy.

I've only ever used the spade method and it's not bad on light, sandy soils but clay can be a real backbreaker...as ever. Especially if there's any roots from hedges, etc

Good luck.

Rob

compostqueen

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2008, 22:40 »
You don't have to dig! It's not allotment law  :D  8)

paintedlady

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2008, 10:31 »
I found digging up areas in my garden was so much more heavy going than on the allotment, even the second plot that hadn't been cultivated in at least 3 years.  That's because it had only been a lawn (of sorts :roll: ) and had decades of being trampled on.  Two doors away from me, the gentleman there said that I was the only person to attempt growing anything in my garden in 40 years :shock:   No wonder it was hard work!
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

Dabhand

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2008, 17:12 »
Thanks folks.  There are roots and other stuff to deal with.  I will have a word with the local hire company and ask if they will cut a deal on both machines and if it's not to pricey I'll do that.  If not I will just have to do a square metre at a time!  The ground hasn't been cultivated for years and it's in shade  :(  but there are no allotments around for miles so it's all I've got.  I have heard about this 'no dig' method but I just cant get my brain round it.. It is so windy here all I can envisage is the large pieces of cardboard flying off down the lane :lol:  :lol:

Eristic

• Experienced Member
    • http://downtheplot.com/index.php
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2008, 02:31 »
Why do things the hard way? Just trench dig the area and slice the turf off the sod after you've dug it out. Turf can then be chopped up into the trench or removed as desired.

Dabhand

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2008, 13:37 »
Quote from: "Eristic"
Why do things the hard way? Just trench dig the area and slice the turf off the sod after you've dug it out. Turf can then be chopped up into the trench or removed as desired.

Hey Eristic,  good to see you posting again.. I *think* it was you I got my JA's from last year... They have done very well and taste lovely... I put them in a small area down at the bottom of the garden.  That's given me the incentive to grow some more things down there hence me needing to dig it up.   That' good advice, I'll chop off the turf after it's been dug.  Cheers.

Trillium

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2008, 14:58 »
Hi from me too Eristic. Nice you're back with us.  :D

xx
OK I'm ready for them !!!!

Started by barley on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post May 22, 2015, 22:23
by Urbanite
xx
im ready

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post February 20, 2012, 20:37
by Christine
xx
Getting ready!

Started by PeterR on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post March 15, 2008, 20:07
by PeterR
xx
ready already!

Started by Brassica Blaz on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 09, 2009, 19:19
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.324 seconds with 38 queries.