Pumpkin Invincible - has anyone tried them?

• 11 Replies

madcat

« on: January 16, 2009, 18:12 »
I just succumbed to a pack of Unwins Pumpkin Invincible because they looks so wow :lol: (blue with bright orange insides) and were on offer.  But no-where can I see anything much about them that isn't straight off the Unwins site.  Has anyone tried them?  Are they difficult?  Hugely invasive or neat and tidy?

Any experiences welcome as I plan where they go.
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

Michael D

• Experienced Member
Pumkins
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2009, 10:23 »
Hi   I  started pumkins last year  grew unwins  had eight plants all did well had about 2 fruits on each plant,   even came 2nd in root show :D
  Only problem was the fruit didn`t  store well  had them in shed at home all unheated  and they all turned to slop.    But will try more this year the ones i ate were tastey      Michael

penance

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2009, 14:18 »
Strangely, just grabbed a pack at our local garden center.
Thought they were crown prince, didn't realise till i got home.

madcat

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2009, 15:33 »
Michael D - can you remember what varieties they were?

Penance - I did wonder if they were a 'son of' Crown Prince, but cant find anything to say either way. :?

penance

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2009, 17:12 »
I was wondering that too.
The packet is exactly the same, i'd so far to say the picture is the same as the crown prince packets.

Craig

Re: Pumpkin Invincible - has anyone tried them?
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009, 16:34 »
I'm really keen on growing these this year on my allotment. I bought some seeds first from a private seller in January, which mostly rotted or didn't germinate for whatever reason, but after searching for another alternative, finally caved in a bought a new set from urwins just recently. Sounds like they are going to be good to eat, look great and I'd be interested to see how long I may be able to store them. Maybe, by the sounds of it, not for too long.

All being well I think this'll be one I'd keep the seeds from to grow again in the future.

I'll post up how I get on with mine.

www.plot54.co.uk

penance

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2009, 16:36 »
Not surprised they didnt do well if sown in January.

Mine will be another week or two before being sown.

Trebor

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2009, 16:46 »

All being well I think this'll be one I'd keep the seeds from to grow again in the future.

I wouldn’t keep the seeds from the plants you grow as they are very promiscuous so you will be unlikely to get the same type. They can cross pollinate with other varieties in the area – seem to remember it was something like up to 500 feet away.

(I got a bit carried away with pumpkins and squash so have 6 varieties going this year -Amazonica, Zucca Baruca, Hooligan, Avalon F1 Hybrid, Mixed Super Sweet Winter Squash and Atlantic Giant!)  Before you think I am mad, about a quarter of the plot is unused so I thought they would be a good space filler until I sort it out.

Update - not have 10 gowing - add Harlequin, Jack Be Little, Turks Turban and White Acorn + Tuscany and Gold Rush courgettes!
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 09:26 by Trebor »

madcat

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2009, 16:55 »
Mine are growing on in pots inside and will stay inside/in the cold frame for another month till the last of the frosts is done, but when they do go out they will be good sized plants. 

The Invincible and green courgettes (planted at the same time and getting the same treatment) are powering away; the winter supersweet and yellow courgettes planted a few weeks later are much slower to get started.  Much more laid back dudes ....  8)

But they will all help clear a new patch! ::)

diggerjoe

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2009, 17:08 »
me to Trebor - carried away if only I had a more than one plot - trying about 6 varieties including one called something like marmalade in italian - apparently the italians make jam out of it - got some good seed from sarah raven seeds bit pricey but i couldn't resist :nowink:

honeymelon

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2016, 21:47 »
I just succumbed to a pack of Unwins Pumpkin Invincible because they looks so wow :lol: (blue with bright orange insides) and were on offer.  But no-where can I see anything much about them that isn't straight off the Unwins site.  Has anyone tried them?  Are they difficult?  Hugely invasive or neat and tidy?

Any experiences welcome as I plan where they go.

invincible pumpkins is an improved variety to crown prince, it's fruit is much bigger, but they don't store as well as the crown prince. My friend collected seed from the invincible pumpkins and the pumkin from those seed seemed tast fine althougt it is F1. It's quite easy to grow and not too invasive.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2016, 09:24 »
This is an old thread, so I've locked it.

The new question about Pumpkin Invincible has its own thread, here
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=124397.msg1460451#msg1460451

xx
Re: Pumpkin Invincible

Started by O2bagardener on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 30, 2016, 17:36
by jambop
xx
Invincible white coloured flies.

Started by sharky on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 07, 2009, 19:35
by mumofstig
xx
Pumpkin vines dying but pumpkin still green.

Started by MichelleC on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 03, 2011, 22:07
by rubyrose
xx
pumpkin

Started by suecoops on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post July 12, 2008, 07:01
by jennyb

Page created in 0.326 seconds with 40 queries.