Onions from seed - 2016

• 168 Replies

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Onions from seed - 2016
« on: December 09, 2015, 11:30 »
OK its a bit early, but we're all fed up with the weather and need cheering up. What better way than talking about seeds and anticipating a bit of early sowing. Gives you time to rush out and buy some seeds as well.  As we are all such restrained seed buyers, I'm sure no-one has laid up supplies yet  (I hear the sound of fellow seedaholics spluttering in the background already  :lol:)

Exploits of the 2015 onion club can be found here if you want to see what you are letting yourself in for  :)

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=117739.msg1371324#msg1371324

If you have a sunny but cool space inside to grow your seedlings on and can keep them frost free until they are ready to plant out, we usually start sowing Boxing Day or New Years Day is another popular choice. 

If you can't offer these growing conditions, best to hold off for a while, but later sowings can still give great crops.  You can still tell us all about what you plan to grow.  We will be gibbering on about varieties and whether we are growing old favourites to trying something new for a fair while.

Mine will be germinating in pre-warmed compost inside, moving to a cool bright windowsill and then into a blow away installed inside the main greenhouse for added protection.

It keeps us out of mischief during those dull days at the start of the year, but join in whenever you want  :)

crh75

Re: Onions from seed - 2016
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2015, 15:00 »
Bedfordshire Champion for me as last year when I had a 'good' crop.  That is a good crop for me, my plot has white rot!!

wrinkly1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2015, 16:40 »
 :nowink: red baron for me as the b####y onion sets always go to seed.

cadalot

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2015, 17:14 »
OK I'm well and truly hooked on growing onions from seed, I have some overwintering Senshyu in the ground and some spares in the greenhouse, that have been started off from seed but I'm going to start off some Red Baron, North Holland Blood Red Redmate, Alison Craig, Bedfordshire Champion Onion and Globo the Giant Onions just after Christmas.

If my overwintering Senshyu onions in the ground get nobbled or nibbled by the vast amount of slugs and snails can I try and kick start another batch in the new year?
Senshyu 01.jpg
Senshyu 02.jpg
Senshyu 03.jpg

finleyfreyaseth

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2015, 19:10 »
just done 80 red baron in modules they in my unheated ghouse but sat on top of pure horse droppings with a carpet of hay on top so hopefully will create heat underneath them fingers crossed

syks grower

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2015, 22:26 »
If anyone wants to see how the show growers do it.

Allotment diary on U tube shows how one yorkshire  grower is attempting to grow a 10lb onion.

Without heat and  special lights I think it is a little early to be sowing.

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2015, 22:37 »
After a cracking harvest this year I'm definitely in for next year - I have Bedfordshire Champion, Long Red Florence (crossing fingers they don't bolt) for summer and Senshyu Yellow for overwintering.

Am going to try and hold off sowing till Feb though as I don't have anywhere sunny but cool at home.

jambop

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2015, 10:07 »
I get my transplants from the local market as the are a good value buy at €6 for 100 really good plants. However I plan to grow the Zebrune shallots this year as well so will be starting them in the cold frame about January. Just one question about onions, which some may find a daft one but how do you get smaller onions? Most of my onions this year were about 5" dia really too big and I would like them a bit smaller... just plant them closer together?

Eblana

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2015, 10:15 »
I got a great harvest from last years onions from seed so I have the seed all ready and waiting for Boxing Day :D

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2015, 10:22 »
how do you get smaller onions? Most of my onions this year were about 5" dia really too big and I would like them a bit smaller... just plant them closer together?

Yeah, pretty much  :)  I always put my tiny sets for overwintering ones closer together in a patch for harvesting as smaller onions, or just giant spring onions.  I do the same with the smaller onion plants with the ones I grown from seed. 

They grow clower together and it naturally dwarfs them a bit.  It also stops me wasting too much plot space as I have a thing about anything allium at seedling stage and find it really hard to chuck the weedy ones on the compost heap  :blush:

snowdrops

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2015, 22:27 »
You can sow seed in small clumps I.e 3/4 in a module then plant out. As they grow they push each other aside but all end up a usable kitchen size.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

luke34

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2015, 12:13 »
just but my kelsae onions in today

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2015, 16:43 »
Will be starting red, 2 white and shallots after Christmas. I have a very light corridor, cool but kept frost free by a freezer generally but will have to bring them away from the windows when temps go down below -5. After losing my overwintered onion sets to bolting last year I have only put fifty in. Will do more if the seeds don't perform by March

Goneterseed

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2015, 21:32 »
I've not grown onions from seed before but I'm going to have a go for next season. I have Sturon and Globo seeds. Is there a preference for seed compost or potting compost for the seed tray's?

Growster...

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2015, 06:37 »
The Japanese onions in modules are about three inches tall now and almost big enough to plant out, but it's so wet, I'll have to wait a while...

xx
Help Onions Run To Seed!

Started by Donnay on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 15, 2013, 20:13
by Donnay
xx
Onions from Seed

Started by GardenShed on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post March 02, 2014, 16:30
by Eightball
clip
onions from seed?

Started by jambop on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 11, 2015, 16:41
by Audy70
xx
onions going to seed,why?

Started by salmonking on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 09, 2013, 18:50
by BabbyAnn

Page created in 0.33 seconds with 36 queries.