Rhubarb (a sick one)

• 2 Replies

Beetroot queen

Rhubarb (a sick one)
« on: August 02, 2009, 21:30 »
I had to move my second season rhubarb from the garden to the plot, its never done much and everytime it does it gets eaten alive by slugs (even with pellets)

I finally threw in the towel and moved him to the plot. where my first season plants are five times the size. I hope it comes back okay, it had been well and trully mashed  :lol:

I took off the trashed bits and left it with two leaves, fairly new and slug nibbled free. Can I use the stems I removed, I know people talk of it being too late to pick, but they are still edible are they  :blink:

tode

Re: Rhubarb (a sick one)
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2009, 21:37 »
You can always eat the rhubarb, but if theyre old stems theyll be pretty stringy.
Generally rhubarb thats not growing strongly (nice juicey stems) doesnt make very good eating.
I usually only pick the stalks whose leaves are still a bit crinkled, which means thyre young.

Bon appetit   :)

Beetroot queen

Re: Rhubarb (a sick one)
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2009, 21:40 »
You can always eat the rhubarb, but if theyre old stems theyll be pretty stringy.
Generally rhubarb thats not growing strongly (nice juicey stems) doesnt make very good eating.
I usually only pick the stalks whose leaves are still a bit crinkled, which means thyre young.

Bon appetit   :)

Okay may make it into a jam or chutney instead, I am now growing 3 different varieties and they say variety is the spice of life  :lol:

xx
Sickły rhubarb

Started by Penny Finn on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 21, 2018, 22:44
by Plot 1 Problems
xx
rhubarb,,can you get orange rhubarb

Started by jolly jen on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post February 03, 2008, 14:17
by jolly jen
xx
Sick Leeks

Started by Plot22 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post September 12, 2009, 21:20
by rickman
xx
my cucumbers look sick will they die?

Started by bigsprouts on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post May 23, 2007, 21:55
by vegging out

Page created in 0.31 seconds with 35 queries.