Small apple tree advise

• 8 Replies

hubballi

Small apple tree advise
« on: April 05, 2009, 13:01 »
As I have a small garden I would like to plant a fruit tree like apple or damson to compliment the vegetables .Are there any out there small enough not to grow too big, possible in a large container, but easy to grow and produce high yields of fruit and attract more birds ?

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: Small apple tree advise
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 13:06 »
yes there are loads. We have two apples, tow pears and a cherry all in large pots. They are minaratte trees from Ken Muir, and there are a range of others, including plums and damsons available. They all have an upright habit, and are asy to prune and care for.

On the other hand, if you want something else, look out for theose on very dwarfing rootstocks as these don't grow very large. Some ar 'family' trees with two different varieties grafted on. If you are only going to have one tree, do make sure it is either self fertile or that there are other trees of the same sort (ie apple or plum etc) that flower at around the same time, in other plots nearby.

Hope that help
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

hubballi

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 18:17 »
I was looking at someapples and pears  in a garden center today and they were nice and small with plenty of blossom. They were priced around £25. Is that a good price ?

SG6

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 18:44 »
What do you mean by a small apple/pear tree?
4ft, 6ft, 8ft, 10ft ??

The fence I have around the garden is 6ft and I have several apples that get to just below that.
They are on M26, also have 2 on M9 that get to 8-10 ft.

Plums I think need to be on Pixy (or is it pears?) to remain small, just not sure what small is for pixy.

Posted elsewhere that I have a couple of Minarette trees from Ken Muir. Simple 6-7 foot stick with short branches 4-6 ins, that frows fruit. Lots of varieties.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 18:48 »
I was looking at someapples and pears  in a garden center today and they were nice and small with plenty of blossom. They were priced around £25. Is that a good price ?

That's not ridiculous, but do check the rootstock type as small now doesn't mean small in 10 years time  :lol: Minarettes are around this price or slightly more as I remember

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2009, 19:10 »
What variety of cherry do you have sunshine?
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2009, 19:44 »
What variety of cherry do you have sunshine?
It is Stella. We have had it three years now and it is smothered in blossom at the moment.

Johndeb

• Ashridge Nurseries
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2009, 23:39 »
As I have a small garden I would like to plant a fruit tree like apple or damson to compliment the vegetables .Are there any out there small enough not to grow too big, possible in a large container, but easy to grow and produce high yields of fruit and attract more birds ?

Cordons are brilliant. You can grow them against a wall or fence (or wires). You can plant then really close to one another (ours are 2ft/60cms) apart which means we have five varieties of apple on 8 feet of fence and they crop really well - the Beauty of Bath had nearly 20lbs of apples last year.

All ieal for what you want.  Get then form a respectable nursery (blackmoors, keepers, bowers etc) - for what it is worth we get all our apple trees from http://www.ashridgetrees.co.uk/SHOPPING-CATEGORIES/Apple-Trees-Fruit-Trees because their advice and service is so good.

Good luck
Good luck
John

The Norfolk Turkey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2009, 20:21 »
Ive toyed with the idea of an apple tree and have equally small space to accomodate one = what does grab my fancy though is a grafted one that will produce 'eaters' and 'cookers' so lunch and pudding are accounted for!! Anyone recommend a good one/good source?

clip
Apple Tree Advise please

Started by Ma Lowe on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 04, 2014, 22:03
by Ma Lowe
xx
Small damsel tree and apple tree

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 19, 2022, 11:41
by mdjlucan
xx
Small apple tree

Started by sanuka on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post March 14, 2008, 12:34
by Stripey_cat
question
very small apples on a supposedly large apple tree?

Started by SnooziSuzi on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 18, 2009, 21:13
by SG6

Page created in 0.354 seconds with 34 queries.