Bud grafting onto mature trees

• 4 Replies

Kleftiwallah

Bud grafting onto mature trees
« on: August 14, 2018, 15:20 »
Good afternoon everyone,
I haven't had much luck with 'standard' grafting so I'm going to try bud grafting.  We bought our apple heritage trees from a reputable grower but have never had a 'decent' crop.  I know of a few interesting trees in the area and would like to try.

So...I'm going to ask about bud grafting onto mature trees.  Is grafting onto the trunk or large branch of the tree possible?  In the videos I've watched, 'they' graft onto small rootstock, so I have done research before bugging you good people!

Looking forward to your knowledgeable replies.

Cheers,  Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

Lardman

Re: Bud grafting onto mature trees
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2018, 17:21 »
Yep shouldn't be a problem, it is essentially a 2 step process.  First you need the bud graft to take then you need the bud to break, on larger branches the final process is hampered by the hormones passed back from higher up the branch.   Where have you failed with grafting scions? If I can manage it with my fat fingers anyone can.

You'd do best to T bud around now if you can , plenty of examples on youtube, have a look at woodys alloment, stephen hayes , Nazar Nasir  and skillcult. Once the bud has taken next spring you can either try to notch the tree force it to break or cut the limb off above the graft.

You could also try top working the trees, cutting everything back over winter and grafting onto the water shoots the following year but it's higher risk.

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2018, 11:57 »
Many thanks for that advice lardman.  There is an apple tree in the park which has pink to red flesh, also one down the canal that is very prolific with green apples.  I'll give all three a try. 

Fingers crossed no matter 'fat'.  I've heard described as "Pig's t*ts!

Cheers and thanks once again.  Tony.

Well, there are four buds in place.  It was the very divvil holding the bud while trying to m\nipulate non sticky tape!  (cut up freezer bag) as recommended on the video I watched.  My sister in law has just arrived with half her apple tree!

Round two begins. 

Cheers,  Tony.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 11:49 by Kleftiwallah »

Lardman

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2018, 07:56 »
It can be a three handed job !
If you tie the bag in a knot around the branch a bit below the bud first, wrap and tie the top you can then go back and adjust the bottom wrap and knot if you see what I mean ? I've used electrical tape in the past but it does tend to pull the bark off when removed, not ideal.

I'm sure it will be fine - I've managed to do 30 odd trees now  ;)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 08:10 by Lardman »

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2018, 14:19 »

A three handed job indeed!  I cut around a freezer bag to produce a long strip (as suggested on the vid' I watched).  Flipping slippery stuff.

This is what I'm gonna do...I'm gonna cut a small tree down and insert scion cuttings in a ring around the base,  then sit back and watch all varieties of apples grow from the one stem!

Cheers to all replies.  Tony.

xx
Pruning mature apple trees

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 12, 2018, 23:40
by solway cropper
xx
grafting fruit trees? possible to do it now?

Started by adri on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 12, 2009, 17:56
by adri
question
Mature rhubarb plants

Started by gypsy on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 09, 2014, 07:51
by gypsy
xx
Very Mature Grape Vine

Started by Uzzy on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 20, 2015, 21:43
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.328 seconds with 35 queries.