fig tree up north?

• 4 Replies

Grubbypaws

fig tree up north?
« on: March 14, 2018, 17:10 »
I am being tempted by a container grown fig 'brown turkey' but I live in the Peak District. Has anyone tried/succeeded/failed to grow one this far north?

Nobbie

Re: fig tree up north?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2018, 18:25 »
I'm in Wilmslow and planted a fig last year and it produced 3 ripe figs🙂 I think a lot depends on how high up you are and whether you've got a nice sheltered spot for it. Mine is planted against a south facing wall in a sheltered garden, so pretty much ideal conditions for this far north. I just hope it's survived the recent cold spell.

jambop

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2018, 18:04 »
Fig trees will take a fair amount of frost. We had -8C last week and have had -15C before and the trees still produce shed loads of fruit. The problem for you is not about hardiness it is about warmth in the summer and of course there is no shortage of heat down here. If you are going to try to grow one I suggest a south facing wall , or fence as the planting place and give it protection from wind and late frosts in the spring time. It will not give you what I get but you may get some very tasty produce good luck and give it a try.

beebot

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2018, 18:06 »
I'm in North Yorkshire, just south of York.
I bought a small Fig Tree (Brown Turkey) from my local garden centre about 5 years ago. Planted it in a very large Tub and sat it in my back garden against a East facing wall as I had nowhere else to put it.
It has been fantastic, grown rapidly and providing more figs than we can handle. In fact we've got a cupboard full of Fig jam!
I've currently got 5  one year old cuttings I took off the tree that are doing really well, don't know what to do with them though. Just planted them for the fun of it! (anybody want one, free to good home)
So to answer your question, yes they will grow 'up North'
Paul

makedoandmend

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2018, 11:32 »
I've had a fig for a few years (Aldi) I was doubtful whether I would have any success, but last year had quite a crop. I'm in Newcastle.
Full sun and a good size pot  (I've got mine in a small beer barrel) were key in getting a crop.
Survives winters well even without fleece / bubble wrap.

Make do.

xx
Lemon tree up north

Started by mamalovesmambo on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post December 09, 2007, 21:35
by Cynara
xx
Unproductive fig tree up north

Started by afcb on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 11, 2018, 19:18
by Yorkie
xx
Fruit tree/plants for north facing wall

Started by moonrakermagpie on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 08, 2010, 11:30
by SarahB
xx
north to south

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 04, 2015, 11:54
by surbie100

Page created in 0.347 seconds with 40 queries.