Well I’ve started

• 6 Replies

snowdrops

Well I’ve started
« on: March 09, 2018, 21:38 »
Yes today was the day, I’ve finally sowed the first seeds of the year, aubergines,sweet peppers,chilli’s,onions,shallots,spring onions,2 types of beetroot & Himalyan poppies(these are v. Late! Sorry Wapello)
I’m going away for 8 days & leaving hubby in charge so he should be able to manage these if they germinate in the unheated conservatory (well that’s my thinking). If they’re not up when I get back they’ll take turns in the heated propagator.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

rowlandwells

Re: Well I’ve started
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2018, 17:03 »
you little devil snowdrops there's me thinking you where on the plot but you where  indoor gardening in the warm your a ferlong ahead of me

we have usually started by now in the greenhouse sowing many seeds but its unheated and still a bit to cold hopefully next week mite be a bit warmer he says with all optamisam

well Monty didn't do much seed sowing on G/W last friday  maybe he's hanging on for a warm greenhouse  :lol:

victoria park

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2018, 17:36 »
The heated propagator thing is as normal for this time of year, but I've definitely pulled back on some crop timings. Given the wet weather to continue still longer, I might even hold back with my potatoes until the 4th week in March, unheard of for me. But I might give them the normal start date with open ended plastic cloches over the top to keep the worst of the wet off for a month. Shallots need a bit of cold, and I've had to plant them in starting modules outside as an insurance against early rotting. Intend transplanting when it dries out somewhat, but when.
Worst stuck Winter and Spring weather in my memory in terms of growing food, with a lot more rain to follow down here..... it's almost every day. Sowing is not the problem yet as I can stuff my greenhouse, but planting out is where the issue might be. Will put my systems to the test

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2018, 19:53 »
I hope you return home to seedlings up and waving, Snowdrops  :D :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

snowdrops

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2018, 20:21 »
Thanks Sunny, to the turn of the broad beans tomorrow or Monday, I also need to go through the seed box to check whether there are any more I need to do, unfortunately I’ve reorganised my seed boxes into types rather than into months to sow by & I can already see the disadvantages of this! Lol

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2018, 20:50 »
I organise my seeds that way too, helps me plan my rotation better, but if I didn't have my sowing diary I'd be lost for remembering when to sow everything!

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2018, 08:01 »
Mine are in types as well and I have a notebook with them listed by type and their sowing dates, plus other info.  This is usually just notes like catch crop to follow ... or use in greenhouse for autumn greens.  I can't be trusted to remember my brainwaves when I bought the seeds otherwise  :lol:

xx
I've started

Started by DIGGER on Grow Your Own

29 Replies
Last post February 12, 2017, 10:33
by Barry C
xx
Getting Started!

Started by Vickie & Richard on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post August 23, 2008, 16:57
by Vickie & Richard
xx
Getting started?

Started by ruth_d on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 15, 2007, 14:21
by ruth_d
xx
Just started out

Started by gipsipink on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 25, 2011, 18:35
by Kleftiwallah

Page created in 0.308 seconds with 36 queries.