Early tomato Experiment 2018

• 78 Replies

Nobbie

Re: Early tomato Experiment 2018
« Reply #60 on: March 22, 2018, 14:22 »

First flower has appeared on one of the Tumbling Tom plants, luckily these can stay growing in pots indoors until they fruit. Currently under a growlight, but will probably move to a windowsill soon.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 17:56 by mumofstig »

Mr Dog

« Reply #61 on: March 23, 2018, 14:56 »
Potted up some chilli/pepper plugs today and took advantage of having some warm compost to pot 3 of the 4 Tumbling Toms into Root Nurse fabric pots - they're getting a bit big for the windowsill/3" pots. There wasn't enough compost for the 4th so will bring some more in to warm up over the weekend.

hasbeans

• Experienced Member
« Reply #62 on: March 28, 2018, 18:51 »
I have a couple of stupice toms that have a truss forming and are about 8".  How hardy are these, could they go into a coldframe soon (running out of windowsill!)?

Potty Plotty Lotty

• https://thelazyallotmenteer.wordpress.com/
« Reply #63 on: March 29, 2018, 22:21 »
Not hardy at all I' m afraid. You could put them out on warmer days in the cold frame and bring them back indoors at night but they they don't like being below 10C.....

It also depends on the location of the cold frame. Mine catches the sun first thing so warms up quite quickly so I can put them in the frame before I leave for work. That is when the weather improves....

Mr Dog

« Reply #64 on: May 11, 2018, 14:11 »
This topic seems to have gone off the radar so jumping it up to see how everyone's early toms are going. I've got the first small fruits appearing on a couple of mine.

hasbeans

• Experienced Member
« Reply #65 on: May 11, 2018, 14:58 »
I got one grape sized tomato on a leggy cherry red plant

I Love Spuds

• Experienced Member
  • AKA Mike.
« Reply #66 on: May 11, 2018, 15:31 »
Of those that I started only 2 tumbling toms (I thought is was 1 originally until I check my diary!) and 1 Chadwick cherry survived. The others were all old seed though.

Tumbling tom's were a bit of disappointment, although they have made it to the GH (in baskets), but the later sown ones have almost caught up and look far healthier. I don't think I gave them enough light early on, despite my best effort with grow lights etc!

Chadwick cherry is somewhat of a thug! It's romped away. I struggle to keep up with pinching out of side shoots it's growing so quick. This has been grown in the same conditions as the tumbling tom's so may need less light or something.

All are now flowering but no fruit yet.
"Every time I learn something new, it pushes old stuff out of my brain" Homer J Simpson

Nobbie

« Reply #67 on: May 11, 2018, 19:15 »
After sticking my toms on the windowsill for a month where the sungold got a bit leggy, they were placed out in the greenhouse towards the end of April and the sideshoots were removed and rooted in water before potting up. I planted out the original three sungold and 3 tumbling tom and the rooted cuttings are just sitting in pots waiting to be planted.

Plenty of small toms on the tumbling tom and some full size green toms on the sungold. May even get a ripe one by the end of May if I'm lucky.

https://i.imgur.com/X7egPLl.jpg

Potty Plotty Lotty

« Reply #68 on: May 15, 2018, 20:38 »
Really happy with mine. Here's a comparison of the early ones (fruits are forming) in large pots at the back and those planted two months later at the normal time (early April) at the front of the photo.

Latah are the only ones that haven't done well (early or normal timing to be honest). Galina, Sungold and Stupice have all done well. I have 2 of each and they've been outside for 1-2 weeks. Looking forward to an early harvest...
May 2018 035.JPG

Nobbie

« Reply #69 on: May 18, 2018, 10:18 »
First tomatoes have ripened :D Although the Sungold and Tumbling Tome were sown a top the same time, the Tumbling Tom still seem a few weeks from having ripe fruit, although they look like they will have much more of it. Sungold does seem to be one of the earliest to ripen in my experience and as I like the taste it's pretty much my standard choice.

I'll see how the Tumbling Tom tastes and consider growing again as I can put a row in front of the Sungold without shading them as my greenhouse is sited next to a wall.

I'll definitely be using the £15 growlight I bought again next year, but may start them a couple of week later as they did get a bit leggy on the windowsill.

Apache chilli's also have some useable fruit on them where I've left them to grow and the ones I've chopped are starting to bush out a bit.
IMG_0931.JPG
IMG_0932.JPG

Potty Plotty Lotty

« Reply #70 on: June 09, 2018, 17:34 »
First tomatoes are showing signs of ripening. Looks like they are Galina and Sungold (lost the labels  ::))

No greenhouse so just in pots on the patio.

Suggests planting two months early gives fruit about 1.5 months earlier than normal but having said that May has been rather sunny which may have helped.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #71 on: June 09, 2018, 20:15 »
Suggests planting two months early gives fruit about 1.5 months earlier than normal but having said that May has been rather sunny which may have helped.
But the late cold spring didn't  ::)

Potty Plotty Lotty

« Reply #72 on: June 16, 2018, 13:36 »

[/quote]

Do you think this makes a difference to mollycoddled indoor plants? I guess windowsills are cooler even with modern windows.

Turns out they are Sungold tomatoes-no sign of Galina or Stupice ripening yet.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #73 on: June 16, 2018, 14:49 »
Do you think this makes a difference to mollycoddled indoor plants? I guess windowsills are cooler even with modern windows.
Turns out they are Sungold tomatoes-no sign of Galina or Stupice ripening yet.
Here at least the cold spring meant the plants weren't out in the greenhouse as often as usual, and the days they did get out there were often grey and miserable, although over 10' so no damage done.
Mine certainly aren't as early as they usually are, they are still stubbornly green :(

Growster...

« Reply #74 on: June 16, 2018, 20:23 »
Our toms are getting there, but pretty dour...

Over the last few years, we have always had a few on my birthday (mid July), but I doubt that will happen this year.

Might buy a few from Thanet Earth (Tesco) to make up the shortfall...

xx
Early Tomato Experiment

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 09, 2022, 22:05
by Plot 6B
xx
The early tomato experiment 2013

Started by Totty on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 11, 2013, 22:00
by Totty
xx
Tomato experiment

Started by lazza on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 20, 2013, 09:33
by J_B
xx
TOMATO EXPERIMENT

Started by tiny50 on Grow Your Own

31 Replies
Last post November 10, 2009, 12:27
by tiny50

Page created in 0.464 seconds with 52 queries.