Have you ordered your seed spuds yet?

• 48 Replies

harry

Re: Have you ordered your seed spuds yet?
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2017, 09:39 »
Have ordered 2 kg of Pentland Javelin,Ulster Sceptre, Cara, Harmony, King Edward. I hope to get some Red Rudolph my favourite maincrop. We are ordering them through our society from K G Loach ltd.
Hurray finally retired
two plots now 31A and 35A

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2018, 14:25 »
Just as a follow, in case you don't spot it in another thread, Brooklea at Rothley, Leicestershire, advise me that their seed spuds will be out this weekend. List of varieties not yet available, but will only be £1.60 a kilo, or £1.40 for over 10 kilos.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Grubbypaws

« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2018, 15:14 »
Happiness  :) seed potatoes have arrived and are already on racks in our cellar with some light from a window.
Lady Christl, Jazzy, Vivaldi and Setanta. Feels like the first promise of the season to come. Vegetable seeds arrived soon after so all I need now is the year to roll forward a few months!

rowlandwells

« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2018, 18:05 »
couldn't get my pink fir apple from my G/C so got some from Wyevale  10 tubers for three quid

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2018, 20:01 »
Happiness  :) seed potatoes have arrived and are already on racks in our cellar with some light from a window.

Me too  :D  I ordered a few Kestrel from Suttons and they have pitched up.  The main lot is still to come, but I have seed spuds in the shed (well fleeced for the next few nights).

There is something very reassuring about it all and it makes spring seem that tiny bit closer  :)

LILLILEAF

« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2018, 05:43 »
I ordered charlotte and setanta a while ago,just ordered a good all rounder maris piper,so i hope i have some for every way of cooking mash,chips new roast,and baking.

Grubbypaws

« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2018, 13:39 »
'There is something very reassuring about it all and it makes spring seem that tiny bit closer  :)'

Especially on those gray half light days that we have been having. I keep finding myself opening the cellar door just to admire them  :D

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2018, 20:16 »
Our local independent garden centre have their seed spuds in. They carry loads of varieties and sell them loose.  Brilliant  :D

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2018, 11:33 »
Especially on those gray half light days that we have been having. I keep finding myself opening the cellar door just to admire them  :D

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

I know exactly what you mean  ;)  A rifle through the seed box or a bit of cooing over the seed spuds makes all the difference  :D

rowlandwells

« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2018, 18:30 »
although I think I've got enough seed potatoes I couldn't resist trying 2 kilo of Ratte well listed as a salad potato I've never grown that variety but I'm sure someone has on this site so how do you rate them for taste

I also bought a couple of kilo of record seed potatoes  described as old and rare variety could be true as I remember the farm I worked on growing them some 50 years ago so it will be a bit of nostalgia growing that seed again :nowink:

mjg000

• Winner, Prettiest Pumpkin - 2015
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2018, 22:37 »
Have just placed my order from the Scottish supplier, don't know why, except I've always done it and then topped up from our allotment shop if necessary.  2kg each of Red Duke of York, Charlotte and Kestral.  I too enjoy the feeling of Spring coming if I have onion seeds starting and potatoes chitting....

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2018, 20:08 »
All the rest arrived today and I've ordered 1.5kg bags - I thought they were 1kg for some reason.  I now have 5.5kg and the shed is a spudulicious paradise for gloating over :lol:

They are laid out and well fleeced.  The crop we are eating are storing well in there, so I reckon they will be fine  :)

Mr Dog

« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2018, 22:09 »
Mine arrived today: Anya, Picasso and (new for me) Kifli.

compostqueen

« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2018, 22:48 »
Me too! Our Potato Day is this Saturday  :)  I normally order mine via the Shed but forgot  :ohmy:   I will deffo being getting my fave Charlottes and I might push the boat out and get a few Edzell Blue for roasting (fluffy inside, crispy outside)   I do like a Winston, Arran Pilot and Desiree. At least with Potato Day you can buy one of each if you wish  They have tastings usually as well, eg tubs of mash for you to test and they have a mash off at the end  :tongue2:

jaydig

« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2018, 09:38 »
I picked mine up from our local nursery yesterday.  I'm not going to grow main crop this year, so I've got Lady Cristl  first early, enough for a couple of rows, and then I've chosen five tubers each of four different 2nd earlies that I've not tried before, to check if we like the texture and flavour and if they do well on my plot.
The nursery sells by weight, so you can pick as many or as few as you want.

xx
Seed potatoes ordered

Started by The Golden Heap on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 06, 2014, 08:42
by gavinjconway
xx
Seed Potatoes Ordered - Right Delivery Date?

Started by MickyB on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post January 12, 2014, 17:23
by Paul Plots
xx
Does anyone use their own Spuds for seed??

Started by AndyRVTR on Grow Your Own

26 Replies
Last post January 11, 2009, 18:40
by AndyRVTR
xx
Seed spuds

Started by mashbintater on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post February 03, 2011, 13:08
by Sweet Pea 2

Page created in 0.324 seconds with 51 queries.