ideal family dog breeds...

• 44 Replies

JaK

• Happy half plot.
ideal family dog breeds...
« on: September 29, 2015, 10:57 »
We have started looking into getting a dog and are trying to figure out what type of dog would suit us. We don't want one that is a very large breed due to space inside our house. Must be good with children (our youngest is 7) and must be able to walk a good distance as we live on Dartmoor. My ideal dog would also be happy to visit the allotment with me too.
I look after a springer spanial for a friend and he is a wonderful, well trained dog so already I'm leaning towards that breed.
I'm not overly fussed about getting a puppy so would probably start looking for adoption centers to begin with.
Any suggestions of breeds (and why) would be great as we may have overlooked a breed that could be perfect.

cadalot

Re: ideal family dog breeds...
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2015, 11:12 »
I've had one two Heinz 57 dogs and a Westie - Both of the Heinz 57's were fantastic family dogs and the Westie was great but they are prone to suffer with skin problems when can be very expensive to keep under control. Pedigrees do tend to have ailments and weaknesses that are indicative to the particular breed.   

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2015, 11:24 »
I wouldn't usually promote a particular breed, but my friend's miniature labradoodle is just amazing. She's friendly, trainable, really good with kids, and not a big dog, though not small. But she can run for miles and is happiest being with people. I'm allergic to dogs & cats and don't react to her either. She's 9 now and has had no health problems other than a sporadically gummy ear.

Eblana

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2015, 18:50 »
All breeds can have good and bad dogs in them (just like humans).  My advice would be to go to a good rescue centre that vets perspective adopters well.  if they check the homes and families are suitable for the dogs you can bet that they will also make sure that the dog is suitable for you. I have had four dogs which I got via this route and they have all turned out to be great (a German shepherd, a boxer mix, a Belgium Shepherd and a pure bred Boxer).

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2015, 12:58 »
I thought that too but need to be sure they will have something we would be interested in, the majority of the shelters in this area are full of staff's and I really don't want one of those. I think we would have to travel further afield to find a shelter so need to be sure of what breed/mixed breed we want first as lot's of places concentrate on re homing specific breed types.

Aled

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2015, 13:57 »
You could do worse than have a look here, they have lots of breeds, from all over UK.  www.dogsblog.com

May be of interest?
Cheers
Aled 

Lardman

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2015, 14:53 »
... the majority of the shelters in this area are full of staff's and I really don't want one of those.

They do fit all of your specifications, I can understand your trepidation but take 5 mins to cuddle a few in the shelter - they're not all thugs and so many need homes.  :(

oakridge

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2015, 15:15 »
Over the years we have a Labrodor dog, four Flatcoated Retrievers and a Terveuren - Belgian Shepherd dog.  All quite big, but....    The Labrador was, er, anxious, to spread his genes and an escape artist, but a great family dog if you can stand the strain.  The Flatcoated Retrievers are fantastic family fogs if you can take the pace, they are very energetic and great with children.  Our current Flatcoat is the second rescue and has fitted in very well.  Our daughter had a Staffordshire Bull Terrier, but do not be put off by their reputation.  They were formally known as the 'Nanny Dog' and Lilly was a very gentle soul, people seemed to rush up to pat her in a crowd in favour of any other.

Malcolm

oakridge

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2015, 15:55 »
Here are some of our various cats and dogs from over the years:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/norwichhouse-oakridge/albums/72157655676961395

Malcolm

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2015, 20:30 »
I too have had a lot of dogs over the years.  My favourites were my corgi that I had when I lived in Malta in 1970, she was a real sweetie, not too big, very good and well behaved.  My most favourite is Penny, the lab x springer we have now.  We got her as a rescue when she was 11 months old, but we did know her previous owners.

She was a mad March hare when we got her, but although she was very bouncy, she never jumped up at people.  She should have been named Tigger I think!  :D ;)

She has never tried to escape from our garden, even though we have conifers, but nothing is fenced.  She has never tried to bite or attack anyone, we can leave her indoors for 14 hours and she has never got onto the furniture, apart from one occasion, which was my fault, she has never messed indoors while we were out, and she has been very good with others dogs.

Saying that though, if you've ever watched Cesar Millan, he always says there are no bad dogs, just bad owners!

As to Staffies.  I too am not keen on them, but I do know lots of people who have them, and there is a group of Facebook that I joined because it is run by my friend Joyfull (who is a member here!), and ALL the owners say what wonderful family dogs they are.  Friendly, loyal, and as Oakridge said, make good Nanny's!  LOL

I do so hope you find the right dog.  Penny has given us nothing but love for the past 13 years!   xxx
« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 15:58 by GrannieAnnie »

oakridge

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2015, 20:45 »
I posted the link on the pets page as well, but I have been told it doesn't work so I am collecting some actual pictures together - watch this space.

Malcolm

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2015, 06:30 »
Your lifestyle will come into it too. Working dog breeds do need stimulation and excercise to keep their exuberance in check. Please don't think that one Springer will be the same as another, as with some other breeds you can get the soft and gentle, biddable types and the totally bonkers types, all with lovely natures but some needing constant work. All dogs, like people, are individuals.

I like Staffs too, but not sure I would get a rescue with small children as you have no idea how they were raised. Our little lab, though as soft as butter and would have been a great family dog, has issues which relate to her past life in an abusive home which we knew nothing about until she had lived with us a while. We thought she was quiet and well behaved (dare I say boringly so) because she was a good girl and her issues and character came out later, as did more info on her past.

Good luck with your search, but try not to get hung up on breeds. Do your research as already mentioned, many breeds have health issues which a breed enthusiast may just gloss over in their adoration. There is lots of information on line. And insurance costs for problematic breeds can be high, especially as they get older

Beekissed

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2015, 03:12 »
Labs!  Incredibly smart, easy to train(food motivated), very few health problems, if any, easy care coat, sweet to the max and love children, other dogs, cats, etc....well..they just love everyone.  I've always had Labs or Lab mix dogs and each one was a pure gem and gave me no problems whatsoever, no health issues at all and were wonderful family dogs.  Two of them were shelter dogs and came to me fully grown...and also fully trained.  The third I got as a pup and he's brilliant as well.  He currently watches my chicken flock for me and really gets attached to his birds.  Not one of those dogs ever growled at a human being....nothing but pure love covered in fur, they live for affection and will do most anything to gain it.

Loyal, sweet natured, intelligent, beautiful, trustworthy and easy to keep. 

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2015, 09:44 »
Beekissed, lab fan that I am, having been involved with Lab rescue in the UK, the fact that labs have no health problems is a myth. They are surprisingly susceptible to digestion problems, renowned for joint problems in a big way, often get cancer, need plenty of work or get fat on fresh air. Temperament wise no breed is good tempered in a blanket way, even the best bred can have issues (know from experience) and unfortunately, though many think they are born trained, they do need work and can be very boisetrous as teenagers. And most will eat the most unsuitable foods as youngsters, including chair legs and cables, toys and any human food available.

But I love them and I have to say our girl (well bred for working) has been an absolute joy with a temperament to die for, despite her traumatic first three years. Not dissing labs at all, just that no breed is perfect which is why I said earlier not to get hung up on breed, but look at individuals.

Beekissed

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2015, 13:47 »
Maybe American labs have more hybrid vigor?  Not sure.  But any that I have known~not just my own~have enjoyed good health into old age.  Yes, cancer is often their killer but until then, when given the opportunity to live a healthy life, they stay pretty healthy...and no breed lasts forever.  They all die eventually of one thing or another.  I wouldn't advocate anyone keep them in the home all the time if they want any breed to be a healthy dog, as a house is not a natural habitat for any dog.   They were created for outdoor living...plenty of exercise, things to chew upon that are more appropriate then furniture and rugs, and the ability to regulate their own digestive systems by consuming things in nature that help with that. 

xx
Surprise family :)

Started by Eumaeus on Pets without Feathers

4 Replies
Last post June 04, 2010, 15:20
by Eumaeus
xx
Our new family member

Started by bramford on Pets without Feathers

8 Replies
Last post July 16, 2011, 16:58
by GTFC197
xx
New Addition to the family

Started by titch on Pets without Feathers

4 Replies
Last post January 19, 2010, 17:52
by Jellyhead
xx
Hawkins Family Update.

Started by Hawkins on Pets without Feathers

11 Replies
Last post February 16, 2010, 18:04
by Hawkins

Page created in 0.117 seconds with 36 queries.