He is sneezing and has a runny nose

• 6 Replies

Oliveview

« on: April 28, 2008, 14:32 »
One of the hens is sneezing and she has a runny nose.  She is eating and acting normal- apart from sneezing.  She was giving herself a dust bath earlier on and sneezing still. All the other hens are showing no symptoms of a cold.  I´ve felt under her wings and she isn´t hot.
Any suggestions?
Pamela

Jellyhead

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2008, 21:19 »
Hi, I lost Priscilla to a similar ailment last year. Please dont ignore, Priscilla seemed well in herself for some time but then died and I blamed myslef cos I didnt react to her symtoms. :cry:
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!!

babe

• elvis king of chooks
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2008, 21:37 »
does she have swollen eyes?? and is her breathing weezy?

have you noticed her breathing through her mouth, beak open?

Oliveview

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2008, 22:21 »
I noticed she was breathing with her mouth open this afternoon when I picked her up to listen to her breathing- she wasn´t weezing.  Some of her sneezes come out like a ducks quack.
Pamela

betty

• Experienced Member
sneezing hen
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2008, 16:26 »
I have a hen that had this when I got her.  I took her to the vet and was given antibiotics, unless  it is cultured they are not sure witch ones will work.  I gave the meds. to all the chickens as directed, and seen no real change, one hen died, but like I said, that was last year.  The SICK HEN, is still sneezing, and breathing is sometimes weezey, but she is fine.  She lays and egg everyday. None of the other chickens have caught anything from her.  I also tried the apple cider vinigar in thier water everyday and I think this has been the best med. for all of them.  REALLY :wink: I noticed throughout our winter, keeping the heat lamp on them helped her to feel better. gl,  yf betty

babe

• elvis king of chooks
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2008, 19:07 »
sounds like a common cold to me, quick call to the vet, he should be able to give you something over the counter.

Oliveview

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2008, 21:23 »
There are two hens that look alike- one was the sneezy hen, could I work out which hen it was today????  She didn´t even sneeze once while I was working in the garden- and there was no sign of a runny nose.  I will keep a very close eye and if it starts up I´ll go straight to the vets with her.
They are being good girls still- 9 eggs from 10 hens- so I now have 44 eggs in the fridge :shock:
We have 2 lots of friends coming over at the weekend so we will give them a dozen each (or more if they want them) and I will be baking before they come, so a few will go down.  We seem to have overdosed on poached eggs, not had an egg to eat  now for about a week-  well I lie, I made a potato omlette on Sunday- but that doesn´t count as eating eggs :D
Pamela

xx
runny nose and sneezing- again

Started by jhub on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post May 24, 2010, 20:56
by jhub
question
runny nose

Started by warrenlovinmama on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post September 09, 2011, 23:11
by warrenlovinmama
xx
Help confused re runny nose

Started by Loulih on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post October 11, 2012, 20:55
by Loulih
xx
Uh-oh already - newbie with runny nose

Started by Lindeggs on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post April 02, 2011, 22:58
by Lindeggs

Page created in 0.251 seconds with 38 queries.