Euww! Sour Crop Method

• 24 Replies

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: Euww! Sour Crop Method
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2009, 21:58 »
Hope you get her sorted out Hawkins.  Live yogurt is always good for chooks digestion.

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2009, 22:04 »
thank you auntie!
even if it doesn't help anyone else, it helps me!

So, my chicken has thrush: whoda thunk it?
 :lol:

(i'm sorry, I know it's not a laughing matter).

I will arrange a vet visit asap and keep feeding her the live yoghurt.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2009, 22:06 »
The topic as a whole is quite useful Andrea.

Hope you get her sorted out :)

nnbreeder

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2009, 03:06 »
A chicken's breath should smell kind of musty, like a damp cellar or basement. If they smell like they have eaten something long dead then it is probably sour crop.

The layer pellets are ground grains and dissolve, kinda, when water is added to the crop making a mash. Add a hen's 100 deg F body heat to the mix plus some digestive fluids and after a few hours there will be a smelly mess in that crop. That is perfectly normal.

Normally by the end of the day a crop will be fairly good sized and if it is working correctly in the morning be empty. When I say morning though it is usually around 4am that our birds stir and start eating again.

And a word of caution about turning a bird on it's back, Especially Cornish (Indian Games) and heavy meat birds. The internal organs can actually collapse the lungs on some birds as they are now on top of the lungs when a bird is inverted.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2009, 08:58 »
brilliant psot nnb  !

If you have no objections I'd like to add that as a quote to our digestive proplems article  :D

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=4345.msg48355#msg48355
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 09:01 by Aunt Sally »

nnbreeder

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2009, 04:32 »
Thanks, I would have no objections at all. I just wish this much info was available so quickly when we started raising chickens.

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2009, 12:08 »
I agree nnb - this site is the most amazing thing! it manages to keep you calm when you're panicking about the stupid birds' health and offers so much advice that you don't end up going mad with worry.

An update, though - we took Mary to the vet this morning and he gace her cure-all baytril.  I think she's a bit better anyway, because her crop wasn't as sloshy this morning.  He said to keep giving her live yoghurt (it's always nice to know you've done something right!!).and some mashed up baby food (to make her feel better i think)

But Rita's decided to be a mopey moo - she started yesterday so I popped her in the cat basket with Mary - you may all remember that Rita's a feisty little madam, so when she's mopey it's worrying!  Anyway, she'd laid a shell-less egg today and when I went to fetch her out she was right underneath the house, all squashed up into herself.
Took her into the vet, and he gave her an injection (said it could be a gut bug) and took her temperature  :ohmy: you know where.  Anyway, out popped this lump of grissle (which the vet said was the rest of the egg) and also a prolapse! silly girl.  Vet wasn't too worried, though, said it was the strain; and popped it back in. (the prolapse, not the grissle.....  ::) )
She's still not right, but I think that's the stress of it all.

They really are worse than children, aren't they!!

simsima

« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2011, 22:20 »
I'd like some help please & am glad to have found this topic.
My chicken has been poorly for a while. I initially thought zozo was just under the weather & that she would eventually be fine, but after a few days when she was still poorly I thought that perhaps she had a vitamin deficiency; as I've experienced it b4 with my little cockerel (he improved on vit D). Again a few days passed & I put aside the vitamin theory & thought of worms, but a vet checked the poo & confirmed that it's not worms. The vet then went on to say it's her crop & that she has 2 or 3 bits bundled together & that zozo needed surgery. The vet somehow assumed that zozo might have eaten dry grass or something tough, but we don't allow our chickens to do so. I believe the bits the vet had me feel in her crop were bits of food I had fed her just b4 leaving home. I decided to wait & took the medicine the vet gave me. I am mashing up her food now & feeding her daily, I give her the med daily & water. I am too afraid to not feed her. But at the same time when I do feed her she seems to go into some sort of coma at least once a day, her behaviour makes me assume that she is dying...but she perks up after some rest. I feel her crop daily & massage it when I can & the lumps or impaction the vet referred to are not there. In fact her crop feels soft. Zozo hasn't lost weight throughout all this but she is in a still position, barely able to stand most of the time & she appears more fragile day by day. She hasn't been eating or drinking on her own throughout her illness. And reading all this leads me to think that what she has is sour crop. I did contemplate inducing vomitting but I'm worried. Could anyone help to confirm my diagnosis & advise me on what I should do? I can not afford the vet fee, but I do believe that she was wrong! Thank you.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 00:28 by simsima »

henamoured

• Experienced Member
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2011, 23:10 »
How old is Zozo?
Is she laying?
Is she bottom of the pecking order?
Does she free range?
And when you say you mash her food - is that pellets?
Not sure I'd be convinced by the vet's diagnosis either tbh (personally I wouldn't consider surgery - but that's your call of course)

simsima

« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2011, 00:00 »
zozo is about 2. She has never been the best layer so she hasn't been laying 4 a while now. She is not a heavy eater at all even when she's laying & in good health we are left disappointed by how little she eats. She can be a bit cowardly, & 1 or 2 others sometimes see her as a target 4 bullying so at the moment I have isolated her, at least to get the cockerels of her back. We give them pellets, mash..a variety of seeds and I'll make them mixed food with rice, lettuce, cucumbers, corn with absolutely nothing too tough or hard for them to swallow.

At the moment I'm putting into my kitchen mixer rice, corn, egg, wholemeal bread (small amounts of each) and a variety of seeds. This way I find it easier to feed her & hopefully easy for her to digest. I have stopped giving her grapes to avoid provoking any fermenting but if I'm eating banana I will give her some small pieces (again 4 easy digestion). And thats pretty much all I feed her. She is well feathered, nothing falling off yet!

They go into the garden & we block them from the grass, but they do have dust baths.  
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 00:08 by simsima »

xx
Impacted Crop in 4 week old chick (Modified - It's Sour Crop)

Started by kegs on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post August 26, 2012, 14:48
by New shoot
xx
Sour crop/Slow crop?

Started by pink-chicken on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post October 15, 2009, 11:02
by pink-chicken
xx
Sour Crop

Started by SuzyB on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 17, 2009, 20:54
by SuzyB
xx
sour crop?????

Started by dawnie77 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 09, 2011, 08:53
by joyfull

Page created in 0.217 seconds with 40 queries.