G Pigs

• 6 Replies

spottymint

G Pigs
« on: November 22, 2010, 16:12 »
HI

O/H has asked if I'd like some G Pigs, said no innitially, but kept them as a kid & I do like them.  :happy:

I had rats but became alergic to them, hence no more.  :(

I'm wondering, if the allergy to rat's, may also apply to piggies (not that it did as a kid).

If I were to say yes, Do you think it would be wise to handle some piggies first & see how it goes before commiting ?

&

Where would be the best place to try holding (being scratched by) piggies, breeders or a rescue ?

O/H is offering to build them a cage with run in the garden & kept & bred many piggies, so care is easy.

Thanks for any help,

spotty.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: G Pigs
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2010, 16:55 »
if you can't find anybody local who keeps them as pets why not visit your local pet shop - often they have them in. They should let you hold them for a while just to see (I would explain the problem) after all you could be a new customer.
Staffies are softer than you think.

spottymint

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2010, 17:17 »
Hi

Thanks, joyfull.

I doubt pet shop is going to be the source of piggies, breeder more likely. May try the small pet shops near me, would get feed/hay sales.

I know the big chains say no & give the wrong advice. Found that out with the rats.  :(

If I were to get piggies, I don't want to be allergic & end up rehoming them as not fair on the piggies.

Poss, rehoming piggies, but not all rescues are good (got a really bad biter from a rat rescue) Although, never met a bitey piggy.  :)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2010, 18:26 »
but you don't tell them that you won't be buying from them you just say that you are thinking about getting them and will have to have several visits to see if you are allergic or not  :)

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2010, 19:01 »
Hi Spotty,

You say you haven't met a bitey piggy, they do exist though so I think handling is imperative for that reason too. I've had piggies from various places in the past - Harrods  :D, a breeder in Kent and latterly we used to get them from an independent garden centre place near Hemel Hempstead which also sold tropical fish and plants of course. There will be places like that all over the country.  :D

Love piggies!  :)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

spottymint

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2010, 20:31 »
HI

All my baby piggies were held from new born, even while still damp.  :ohmy:
Mummy pig never minded.

daisy1990

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2010, 19:17 »
I have never really liked pigs but have recently acquired two (dont ask!) and we love them.  They are so easy and lovely to handle.  I would definately have them again.  Pets at Home near us always have them in stock and the staff are good at letting potential customers handle them.  RSPCA will take back any animal that doesn't settle/ suit the owner, I mention this as handling once may not necessarily show if you are allergic (my neighbour became allergic to his after several months of being OK with them)
3 dogs, 8 chickens, 4 rabbits 2 guinea pigs, 10 quail, 2 fish and a demanding daughter who has gone to uni and left me with 29 animals to care for!!=)

xx
We are getting some pigs.

Started by debih on Pets without Feathers

3 Replies
Last post May 16, 2010, 09:12
by gsc
xx
Pigs. Pigs everywhere!!!

Started by scabs on Pets without Feathers

35 Replies
Last post January 23, 2012, 09:15
by shetan
xx
Guinea pigs

Started by Thompson24 on Pets without Feathers

3 Replies
Last post August 26, 2009, 13:33
by nzdunn
xx
Micro Pigs

Started by cluckingnuts on Pets without Feathers

19 Replies
Last post January 16, 2010, 22:41
by dizzylizzie

Page created in 0.125 seconds with 38 queries.