New Chicken Keeper

• 9 Replies

Dottyaussie

New Chicken Keeper
« on: March 08, 2011, 14:34 »
I'm really worried about one of my chickens. I've only had them a few days but one of them (Agnes) is always nodding off and today she had a solid white poo. She is eating but then she will nod off, wake up, eat, nod off again and this goes on. The other chicken (Mary) walks about all the time and is very active. Agnes will walk around for a while in-between nodding off. Can anyone help me help her please. They are Warren chickens.

Dottyaussie

Re: New Chicken Keeper
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 14:36 »
Sorry I forgot to mention they are about 28 weeks old and havent started laying yet.

woodside farm

• Experienced Member
    • Poultry Auction
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 15:12 »
Hi,
Warrens should be laying at that age, where did you get them from? It is possible that the one that keeps going to sleep is still a bit shocked from the move, but it doesn't sound to good to me, if she doesn't get any better in a couple more days I would contact the person you bought them from.

Hope this helps

Michelle
http://www.woodside-farm-chickens.webs.com/
*-:¦:-•*quis goes inter*•-:¦:-•:* adveho inter*•-:¦:-*

bantam novice

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 19:35 »
Hello Dottyaussie,

You can always check the "usual suspects"

Does she have a temperature?  You check this by feeling under the wing of one or more of your other girls then under her wing to see if she feels hotter.

Does she have little visitors?  Was she wormed or checked for lice and redmites?

Could she be starting to lay.  Sometimes when chickens start to lay they lay soft or mishapen eggs.  You could try sitting her in a warm (skin temperature) bath and seeing if this relaxes her to lay an egg.  Blow dry her gently afterwards but not on the hottest setting.  Use the cool setting.

Is she eating OK.  You could check her crop.

I'm sure someone more experienced will be along to give you advice.  In the meantime Good Luck  :)

11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 19:56 »
Another thing to check is if they have constant access to fresh, cool water.  Are you based in Australia?  Some Australian chickens are still suffering from heat stress (although it's getting cooler) and your Agnes may have become dehydrated during transport.

When I brought my chickens home recently I put extra water dishes around (inside and outside the coop) so they could always find one.  The poor girls almost became roast chooks on the drive home and drank a lot for the first few days.

Have her other poos looked any different to Mary's?  (There's a great poo thread on this forum - hold your nose while you're reading it!)

Dottyaussie

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 09:27 »
Hi I gave Agnes a mixture of yoghurt and olive oil yesterday (I had read this could help on other forums) and she perked up abit and started eating like there was no tomorrow !! Afterwards she did a normal poo with only a little bit of white in it. This morning she has been as active as Mary walking around the garden etc for about a hour or so but then started nodding off again even to the point of 'sitting' down. She only nods off for about 10 seconds and then wakes up as if she has just remembered what she was doing and then carries on eating or walking around. I've checked her temp ect and seems the same as Mary.

Dottyaussie

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2011, 17:39 »
Just a quick update on Agnes...She has been eating and drinking but she has been sleeping most of the afternoon now sat down with her head tucked under her feathers....im really worried about her now  :(

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2011, 17:47 »
either get her to a vets or contact the seller for advice - they have some medication to treat her.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Dottyaussie

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2011, 18:57 »
Hi all just an update on Mary & Agnes....they have both been well for a while now, I think they just needed an adjustment period. They are both laying every morning and have made themselves quiet at home  :) The only problem I'm having with them now is they have eaten all my vegetable seedlings..broccoli, cauliflower, peas and tomatoes stripped of all the leaves. The only things they have left are the lettuce and runner beans  :wacko:

bantam novice

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2011, 20:17 »
Hi Dottyaussie, and thanks for the update.  I'm glad that Mary and Agnes have settled and are laying well.  Mine also love seedlings and I have had to fence off the vegetable patch  ::)

xx
Help for a new chicken keeper please

Started by What Allot on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post September 08, 2009, 21:18
by nzdunn
xx
New chicken keeper, almost!

Started by hamsterhead on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 17, 2013, 11:15
by ANHBUC
xx
New Chicken Keeper

Started by AndyRVTR on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post October 24, 2008, 13:41
by woodburner
xx
first time chicken keeper

Started by chelseablue on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post October 25, 2007, 15:24
by ness

Page created in 0.259 seconds with 40 queries.