RIP Bubbles

• 6 Replies

Dabhand

RIP Bubbles
« on: December 26, 2010, 18:13 »
Sadly I lost one of my Ex-batts this morning.   Bubbles who was my favourite, always friendly and nice to the other girls. 

She has been poorly for a while.  Just old age really, she wasn't doing very much yesterday, although she was eating a bit and drinking.  This morning all the other girls came out ok but when I lifted the coop door she was snuggled up in the nesting box.  She looked up at me and raised her wing a bit but it was obvious she was soon for the great chicken coop in the sky.  I went in to fetch the water and feed and was chatting to Andy about what the best thing to do was and when I went back to her she had passed away.   It was for the best really as I didn't really want the job of the 'kind deed'  I know Andy wouldn't do it so I was quite relieved. 

I got my first 4 ex-batts in February and then another 2 in the late summer.  They have been a real joy to me and have been so easy to look after, they have simple needs and give so much back.  Bubbles is the first one to go and although I feel happy that she lived such a happy 10 months of free ranging and good grub etc it still feels a bit strange and sad. 

RIP Bubbles.... 

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: RIP Bubbles
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2010, 18:40 »
it is nice to know that she died happy and having lived some of her life knowing what it is like to be a proper chicken where she has space to move and scratch around and to be loved, RIP Bubbles and huge hugs to you Dabhand xx
Staffies are softer than you think.

Dabhand

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2010, 20:18 »
Thanks Joy... My daughter has just said goodbye to Sasha, the white Tiger at Colchester Zoo,
he had been there for a long time and was nearly 18.  He was poorly due to old age and was being cared for in his last days.  Leanne was the last one to be with him and is still quite upset.  She's coming over tomorrow for 'Christmas Day' so I can give her a big hug.

My friend in the village who takes in retired greyhounds said it's all part of the package!  At least we give them a good send off and move on to the next poor little things that need our help. 

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2010, 21:37 »
Oh Dawn I am sorry to hear about Bubbles!  But she had a lovely life.

Also sad to hear about Sasha, we used to see him when we lived in Essex.  He was a beautiful boy.  Didn't realise he was so old!  Another Sad Christmas!!

Dabhand

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2010, 00:46 »
Thanks Annie

Yes, I think Leanne said he was nearly 18...  She has only been his keeper for a little while but
she got to know him well. 

sneezer

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2010, 07:58 »
Sorry to hear about Bubbles, I too have rescue hens and know the joy of watching them grow and enjoy life being a chicken- your friend in the village is a wise person x

Dabhand

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2010, 19:10 »
Thank you Sneezer, she is indeed!!

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 39 queries.