Frugal Tips Competition

• 95 Replies

parson

• Experienced Member
Re: Frugal Tips Competition
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2009, 19:57 »
Do what I done......

Get a wood burning stove fitted, then get a job with the local green waste recycler. I get ALL the logs that are cut by Glasgow, Nrth Lanarkshire, East Dunbartonshire, West Dunbartonshire councils and any local gardeners and lanscapers, or tree surgeons brought to my work. Who then let me take what I want free.

Result is I heat my house through the winter months for nothing.

Beat that!!!!!!!!!

dissoluteman

« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2009, 21:46 »
My best tip would be to check out your local supermarkets/shops and sniff out the reduced item shelfs. My local tesco has one section for chilled perishables, one for veg/fruit items etc. They are usually located at the ends of the isles somewhere. Once you know where they are hang around and find out the time they start to reduce items. My shop nearly always starts around 2100 hours. The dates are usually use by the same day or very nearly up. I just pop in around that time when I am passing and have a look about, pickout things I can use for meals the next day, or better still, things I can freeze. I have saved ££'s this way. Last week i got a full leg of newzealand lamb for less than £3, went in my freezer and will do for one sunday when im skint! Was well chuffed!  :lol:

BestBreast

• Experienced Member
  • Chhhhiiiiiiickens.......
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2009, 00:39 »
Think twice before you bin anything.

Sour Milk = toad in the hole, pancakes, nann and soda bread.

Stale bread = bread pudding, bread crumbs for stuffing, bread sauce or coating fish/meat/vegetables, crutouns for soup or salad, fishing bait, treat for your chickens.

Bacon rind = fishing bait, chicken treat, make lard for cooking.

Cooking oil = save oil from cooking, yorkshire puddings or roasties. Filter oil to purify esp usefull if deep fat frying.

Bones from joints/poultry = once meat has been stripped from the bones use them to make a tasty stock.

Grow and make your own herbal medicines and teas.

Forage for your food, berries, wild garlic, mushrooms, apples, pears, plums, damsons, etc..

Make your own jams, chutneys and jellies, making good use of surplus produce/scavagings. Great for gifts.

Faz

• Experienced Member
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2009, 08:22 »
My tip number 1 would be to have a good look through the MoneySavingExpert website and forums. There is so much information on there about saving money and also tips on claiming some money back. There are also codes to use when shopping on line (for example free grocery delivery).

The site also does a weekly email keeping you up to date with any developments or offers that are only available for a limited duration.

Tip number 2 : subscribe to the regular emails from Aldi/Lidl and get sent details of what offers they have coming up in the next week or so - especially useful in the spring when they have loads of gardening stuff available at good prices.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2009, 12:15 »
get on travel lodges mailing lists - they often do special offers (great if you want a short break  :D) Starting tomorrow rooms for £9 per night for stays during November, December and January. So far over the past year we stayed in Middlesborough (2 nights, London 5 nights, Oxford 1 night, Luton 1 night, Lake district 3 nights all for £9 per night  :D)
Staffies are softer than you think.

Kieron

« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2009, 22:30 »
Earn money by displaying a “How's My Driving?” sticker on your car with an 0906 premium rate number (£1.50 per minute) which you can aquire through BT. Then simply drive around town like a complete idiot. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 06:55 by DD. »

BrianK

• Experienced Member
    • melton constable village
« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2009, 07:51 »
My frugal tip idea...

Start a forum, let it become popular,  then have a frugal tips competition where everyone suggests ways of living on a pittance.  Then adopt all the ideas people have suggested...

Great idea me :lol: :lol:

Oh come on. Surel;y that's the winner?   :wacko:
My Blog (updated 18/7/09)

joyfull

« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2009, 10:43 »
get on travel lodges mailing lists - they often do special offers (great if you want a short break  :D) Starting tomorrow rooms for £9 per night for stays during November, December and January. So far over the past year we stayed in Middlesborough (2 nights, London 5 nights, Oxford 1 night, Luton 1 night, Lake district 3 nights all for £9 per night  :D)

just done this and booked two nights at Halifax for £18 in December  :D

madcat

« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2009, 11:09 »
Halifax in December??? ???  Brrrr .....

I really, really hope you aren't going for the sun sea sand and sights?    :D
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

joyfull

« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2009, 11:21 »
no, and have now booked Scarborough at £9 a night for 2 nights in January  :lol: :lol:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2009, 14:16 »
Earn money by displaying a “How's My Driving?” sticker on your car with an 0906 premium rate number (£1.50 per minute) which you can aquire through BT. Then simply drive around town like a complete idiot. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That's a bit of a deceitful scam Keiron - verging on fraud I'd say.  >:(

madcat

« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2009, 14:34 »
no, and have now booked Scarborough at £9 a night for 2 nights in January  :lol: :lol:

Do you know about being a glutton for punishment?   :blink:

[Apologies and no offense intended to those hardy souls who live in Halifax or Scarborough!]

joyfull

« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2009, 14:41 »
 :lol: :lol:
Think though that there are lots of interesting places to visit in and around these places, just have to remember to pack me coat, hat, brolly, gloves, scarf, wellies, thick jumpers - good job I've got a van to carry it all in  :D Besides might as well use the hotels central heating for these days rather than my storage heaters  :)

Kieron

« Reply #43 on: June 21, 2009, 16:58 »

That's a bit of a deceitful scam Keiron - verging on fraud I'd say.  >:(

Bit of a harsh response for a joke.  ???  :D

Maybe this one is better and in case people believe I'm serious....

WARNING JOKE COMING UP

Save money washing your clothes by giving them to Oxfam. They will wash them and you can buy them back for 50p.

No? Dreadful abuse of a charity shop? Ok I give up!  :D  :lol: :D :lol: :D

Ok here's a real one. You can buy scaffold boards for 20p a foot from scaffolders. Just ring up you local scaffolder and see if they've any no longer considered safe to use. If you're really lucky, though unlike in the current economic climate, they'll let you take them away for free.

Another, don't by black plastic vinyl to cover your plot visit an agricultural merchants and buy silage sheet. Same stuff but a bit thicker and a 10m x 50m roll costs just £50. Or visit a local farmer and see if he's got any old silage sheet.

Potiron

• Experienced Member
« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2009, 06:05 »
 Never say no to anything offered to you, there will allways be a use for it. ::)
Ears and Eyes open, Gob shut.

thumbup
Recipe Competition #2 - Frugal Recipes

Started by John on Competitions

34 Replies
Last post May 21, 2009, 16:20
by Moosey
smiley
Competition #17 - Weather

30 Replies
Last post May 13, 2011, 23:06
by pigeonpie
xx
Photo Competition #4 - My Pet(s) or somebody else's

240 Replies
Last post August 28, 2008, 23:04
by wengren
xx
Ideas For Competition

342 Replies
Last post December 18, 2022, 12:43
by Kleftiwallah

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 41 queries.