Gherkins

• 5 Replies

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Gherkins
« on: July 27, 2008, 21:09 »
I'm about to harvest the first few mini cues to make Gherkins.

Any favourite recipies?

I could really do with one where I can start off with a few and add to as they mature on the plant.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Oliveview

Gherkins
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 17:47 »
Small gerkins can be pickled the same way as cucumbers:

Wipe the cucumbers but to not peel.  If they are small they can be left whole, if not cut into neat even sized portions. If you prefer the cues to remain fairly firm lay them on a flat dish and cover with a generous amount of salt,  Leave overnight and drain away the salt and rinse with plenty of cold water,  for a softer result place the cucumbers in wet brine (to follow) Leave overnight, rinse in plenty of cold water then leave to drain very well.  Prepare the spiced vinegar (to follow) , allow to cool and strain.  Pour the cold vinegar over the cucumbers and seal the jars. You could add 1 or 2 dried bay leaves into each jar.

Wet Brine
Unless stated to the contrary, allow 50g/2oz (scant 1/4 cup) salt to each 600ml/1 pint (2 1/2 cups) water.  Simply mix the salt with the cold water. This is used when a softer result is required.

Spiced Vinegar
The average quantity of mixed pickling spice required varies from a total of 1 tsp to 1 tbsp to each 600ml/1 pint vinegar.  This is a matter of personal taste.  It is not only the amount of spice that dictates the flavour of the vinegar, but also the boiling time.  For well-spiced vinegar pickles you should boil the vinegar and spices steadily for up to 15 min.  For pickled fruits  where a sufficiently smaller amount of pickling spice is required, up to 5 min. Strain the vinegar to remove the spices.  Sometimes spices can be tied in muslin and cooked with the other ingredients, this is often done with chutney.
At first add a minimum amount of spices and a short boiling time.  Check the flavour and if necessary  continue boiling and add more spices.
Once the vinegar has been added to the fruits/veg do not add more spices as this will change the flavour. If you want to add spices use the ones that come from the vinegar after boiling and  straining. If that is the case, reduce the boiling time to compensate for the extra flavour given by the spices during the storage......... PHEW!!
From my jam/preserves and pickle book
Pamela

DD.

• Global Moderator
Gherkins
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 18:33 »
Thanks Pamela.

agapanthus

Gherkins
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 19:34 »
I would have replied....HONEST!!!! but I don't have any recipes :cry:  :cry:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: Gherkins
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 20:40 »
Quote from: "DD."
I'm about to harvest the first few mini cues to make Gherkins.

Is it a gherkin variety DD ?

DD.

• Global Moderator
Gherkins
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 21:09 »
That's what it says on the tin.

Bought with this express purpose in mind...

http://seeds.thompson-morgan.com/uk/en/product/gww0236/1

xx
Gherkins

Started by wighty on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

1 Replies
Last post October 17, 2012, 21:14
by snowdrops
xx
Gherkins

Started by Yorkshire Lass on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post July 18, 2016, 18:01
by Headgardener22
xx
Gherkins

Started by slow_worm on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

1 Replies
Last post August 07, 2011, 17:02
by Yorkie
xx
Pickled gherkins

Started by fallen angel on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post August 14, 2007, 11:16
by muntjac

Page created in 0.175 seconds with 39 queries.