vaccination advice??

• 4 Replies

Chickengeorgey

vaccination advice??
« on: June 04, 2012, 00:28 »
Hi,
I am looking for some advice about vaccinating chicks, i am hatching eggs for my first time, I have 20 eggs  in the incubator due to hatch in a week. (fingers crossed some do hatch!) Ideally I'd prefere not to vaccinate as I don't like the idea of it, but reading about mareks disease, coccidiosis etc is making me think I should. My local Poultry sellers advice me to do it whereas the eggs sellers at my farmers markets say don't bother.

I already have 20 hens which have been bought at various stages over the last few years as pullets, they have been vaccinated. How are the day old chics vaccinated? Injection or through their water?  Don't really fancy injecting the birds.

Thanks.
Georgie!

Sassy

Re: vaccination advice??
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 08:22 »
Personally I don't get vaccinated birds. Generally if good housekeeping is practised it should not be necessary at back yard level. Commercial henkeepers do it because the conditions they are kept in are often not natural , far from ideal and usually overcrowded. I have never had problems getting unvaccinated birds from very good, well-kept flocks and excellent breeders.

They can still get Mareks even if vaccinated. If you choose to vaccinate how will decide what to vaccinate for and what not to? The chemicals come in very large quantities and have a very very short shelf life often only hours.

However, it is not advisable to keep vaccinated and unvaccinated birds together! The vaccinated birds can shed nasties (from the original vaccine) that may infect the unvaccinated ones.

A tough one for you. I'm sure you will get some other opinions shortly. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 08:31 »
most vaccines come in batches of 500 or 1000 so not really practical for the back yard chicken keeper. They start being given at day old onwards and there are so many that you can give for just 20 chicks it would not really be practical. Some are given via water and others by syringe, some are live vaccines and others are dead.
Staffies are softer than you think.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 10:05 »
And even vaccinated chicks and chickens can die of of diseases that they haven't been vaccinated for.  Like Sassy said, just keep your chickens and their environment as clean as possible, with decent food and clean water and hopefully they will live a long and happy life.  :)

Chickengeorgey

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 13:13 »
Thanks for the advice, not going to vaccinate them. Hatching away at the moment. 10 out with another 6 eggs shaking and two eggs with no movement.

Very exciting!!!

George

xx
Advice on post Vaccination care

Started by trinacooke on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post May 17, 2009, 17:42
by chrissy
xx
Vaccination

Started by calli on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 18, 2007, 17:33
by Aunt Sally
xx
Vaccination

Started by Prod on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 24, 2013, 09:10
by GrannieAnnie
xx
vaccination

Started by Pudding cloth on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post August 20, 2011, 09:58
by joyfull

Page created in 0.219 seconds with 39 queries.