Maniac blackbird

• 7 Replies

A Reyt Tayty

Maniac blackbird
« on: April 02, 2012, 20:03 »
Today, I've had a male blackbird in the garden digging absolutely everything in sight up. Not just stuff planted out. Pot chrysanths seem to be a favourite, but other potted stuff seems to annoy him too. A raised bed with carrots in seems toi have offended him in some way as well. I've just mulched around a tayberry with some really nice manure; he's had three goes at that. I really enjoy the birtds in my garden, but this dude is really asking for it.

8doubles

Re: Maniac blackbird
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 20:13 »
V4LlTCyGu-ofeature=related

Just a Dad doing a days graft.  :)

Elaine G

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 19:58 »
The little devils toss aside my bark mulch and hubby gets fed up of clearing it off the lawn.
They also pull out any plant labels - they seem to be offended by them  :mad:

Elaine
The foolish man seeks happiness in the distance, the wise grows it under his feet - James Oppenheim

A Reyt Tayty

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 20:25 »
Today, the hen bird has been nicking the coir from inside a hanging basket for nest material. They also like digging up saxifrage just for fun!

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 02:53 »
Sounds like you need some netting and fast.  :)

lettice

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2012, 13:19 »
I use netting over  cabbages and have a few nests of blackbirds in large tree very closeby, but dont have a problem with them causing any problems in my veg patches.
I do have a few bird tables and put out worms and bread that they love. Might be a distraction from the garden for them.

A Reyt Tayty

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2012, 13:42 »
I use netting over  cabbages and have a few nests of blackbirds in large tree very closeby, but dont have a problem with them causing any problems in my veg patches.
I do have a few bird tables and put out worms and bread that they love. Might be a distraction from the garden for them.

No, they are birds on a mission. I have bird tables and feed them regularly on a varied diet. These are hell bet on destruction. Turned their efforts onto a carrot bed that's just started to show seedlings this morning.

Trillium

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2012, 14:52 »
I had one bird that showed up several springs in a row and was absolutely determined to peck its way through one particular window. The 12 hours of pecking day in and day out for about two months nearly drove me bonkers, so I understand your annoyance.

Short of dispatching this particular single-minded pest, you'll need to find some drastic measures to protect your crops because this bird will not give up. No idea what gets into their heads, but they will not stop.

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 38 queries.